Prey 2006! Try it!!

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Prey 2006! Try it!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    luka2099
    Participant

Hello to all . Surely many will shoot it, but I discovered, that Prey 2006 is now an abandowares, and it is free to download, (just search with google for the link). but above all I discovered that with vorpx it works damn well !!!!! it has a g3d that works really well, plus it hooks perfectly with the default vorpx profile. It seems almost unbelievable that it is a game from 15 years ago, compared to some games today that are sold for 30 euros! If you happen to try it !!

haints
    Participant

I second luka’s recommendation.

First, this is just a great, underappreciated game! I greatly prefer it to the “remake” and it’s terrific in 3D. Hard to believe it is now abandonware, but anyone who hasn’t played it should absolutely give it a shot and I’m going to play it again myself.

luka2099
    Participant

moarveer
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give it a look.

haints
    Participant

Just booted it up and it looks great, but … like a lot of VorpX modified FPS games, the FOV is set so that you can barely see the weapon in your hand. For instance, you start the game holding a wrench, and playing in 2D the wrench is clearly visible, where as in Vorpx only the very tip of the wrench is visible.

I know Ralf sets it that way to get the correct FOV in FullVR but it doesn’t feel correct to me personally if I can’t really see what I’m holding in my hand. Curious to know if anyone has tweaked the FOV settings for Prey to make your weapons more visible? I’m going to experiment with various settings to see what I can come up with.

EDIT: I was surprised to find, given its age, that there were several mods available for the original Prey. Link for anyone who wants to check them out.

https://www.moddb.com/games/prey/mods

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unfortunately there is no margin for what the right FOV is in FullVR mode, there only is one. The game FOV has to precisely match the headset FOV, any deviation from that causes distortion, either in the form of a zoomed in image or the opposite.

First please make sure to run games at 4:3 resolutions (e.g. 1600×1200, 1920×1440, 2400×1800) in FullVR mode whenever possible. Or even one the ‘Narrow’ resolutions from the recommended custom resolutions list if a game works with them. Weapons being entirely out of sight usually is a sign of using a widescreen res, which in FullVR mode unnecessarily renders pixels that never show up in the headset.

If that doesn’t help and you are willing to live with the distortion mentioned above, you can apply an up to 20° FOV offset on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu.

Alternatively use the ImageZoom option. That preserves the right FOV, but introduces black top/bottom bars.

Caveat: Depending on how vorpX handles FOV for a game, changing FOV related options may require a game restart, so make sure to read any notifications that might get shown in that respect.

luka2099
    Participant

just change the fov from the vorpx menu within the game! and the weapons you see very well

Ralf
    Keymaster

Only do that if you don’t care about the FOV being right. Under normal circumstances you don’t want to touch this setting. In FullVR mode the game FOV has to match the headset FOV (see above).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!