Problems with official vorpX profiles

Homepage Forums Technical Support Problems with official vorpX profiles

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

So… I haven’t tried a lot of games with vorpX so far, and overall I’m reasonably happy with it (I want to point that out because far too often forums are full of complaints).

But I am getting a bit disappointed that I’m seeing problems with nearly all of the official profiles I have tried. I’ve been stereoscopic gaming for a very long time, so I’m perfectly aware that this can be a problem, but with the other products I used it was only a problem with new titles – problems were pretty much always, eventually, addressed. I wish I was seeing the same thing with vorpX. Out of the 4 titles I have so far tried, 2 of them have pretty serious issues (Fallout 4, Witcher 3), 1 has a minor issue (Fallout 3), and the final one requires setting shadows to extremely low quality (Life is Strange 2) but otherwise works well. Fallout 4 has light-sources that are not at the correct depth, Witcher 3 Shadows are totally wrong and even turning them all the way off (which looks *awful*) in the vorpX menu doesn’t really work, as incorrect shadows will stop pop-into existence at extremely close range. The only solution is to switch to Z3D, but depending on the title that can look really bad with all the Z3D artifacts.

I really hope to see these issues fixed.

I, for one, would happily pay a small amount for each fully-perfected game-profile. I don’t know, $1.99, maybe $2.99? Something like that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The best advice I can give you is leaving the 3D-Strength at the default value. With default settings such glitches often aren’t overly distractive. Fallout 4 should look pretty well that way, also with default settings its world scale will be correct. vorpX is not about as-much-3d-as-possible, it’s about VR. TBH sometimes I truly regret the far too huge range of the 3D-Strength slider, which might understandibly be tempting for stereo 3d enthusiasts, but doesn’t really make sense for VR.

Also Z3D, which never has these kind of glitches, often looks better than you may think unless you permanently look at objects very close to the camera, which shouldn’t happen too often while normally playing a game.

Apart from that adiitional advanced shader authoring options that would allow to re-program shaders are still in the works, but not ready for prime time yet.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Thanks for the prompt reply! It’s good to hear that you are still working on some of these issues.

The vorpX Z3D is pretty good, no doubt, but I’ve found I have a hard time using any Z3D method in 3rd person games because it tends to cause a lot of artifacts around the central-object of every scene (your avatar – i.e. Geralt in The Witcher 3). It’s a lot less of an issue in racing-sims and 1st person games, at least to my eyes. Nothing to be done about that, I realize, but in the end I find Z3D pretty hard to get used to in many titles.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

TBH sometimes I truly regret the far too huge range of the 3D-Strength slider, which might understandibly be tempting for stereo 3d enthusiasts, but doesn’t really make sense for VR.

Don’t limit that option though! I found it extremely useful in FO3, which was causing me *huge* eyestrain at first. Turns out the scene was so “flat” at the 1.0 setting that my brain/eyes refused to accept the image. It wasn’t until I cranked that all the way up to something like 3.0 that the scene had real-world-depth and my eyes stopped bugging-out when I tried to play it. I would rather be able to screw something up through my own ignorance than to be unable to fix something due to the removal or limitation of some settings.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Fallout 4 should look pretty well that way, also with default settings its world scale will be correct.

I know nothing about vorpX profile-authoring at this point, but I did a LOT of work on TriDef profiles over (approx) a ten-year period, and I’m fairly sure I was the person who first figured out what FO4 was doing with light-sources and managed to get a fully-working G3D profile (the official profile had light-source-depth issues – same problem as vorpX currently has). The F04 engine was rendering certain (not all) light-sources at the same depth as the sky, AND, the only way to get them to display properly was to set both the “Percent in Front” and the “Sky Depth Allocation” to 50%. As long as those two settings were left at 50% you could then adjust overall depth of the scene and most other settings until things looks right, and your light-sources (and sky) were all rendered at the correct depths. I don’t know if you have a way to look inside TriDef profiles, but you can find my old profile (and screen-shots of the critical settings) buried down in the “Old Files” download on this Nexus page: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21902?tab=files – Unzip it and look inside the “Fallout 4 TriDef Profile (True 3D)” folder. Maybe something there will point you towards how to fix this issue in the vorpX profile as well.

Ralf
    Keymaster

>> It wasn’t until I cranked that all the way up to something like 3.0 that the scene had real-world-depth…

I obviously won’t tell you how to play games with vorpX, but you should be aware that this is objectively wrong. Real world depth and world scale (both are connected since “more 3D” makes the world appear smaller) in Fallout games means 1.0. That is more or less true for all official FullVR profiles. I’m not perfect and dialing in the base scale/depth usually involves some guesswork, so maybe here and there 0.8 or 1.3 might be fully right, but you certainly will never see an official FullVR profile where 3.0 means real-world depth/scale.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

>> It wasn’t until I cranked that all the way up to something like 3.0 that the scene had real-world-depth…

I obviously won’t tell you how to play games with vorpX, but you should be aware that this is objectively wrong. Real world depth and world scale (both are connected since “more 3D” makes the world appear smaller) in Fallout games means 1.0. That is more or less true for all official FullVR profiles. I’m not perfect and dialing in the base scale/depth usually involves some guesswork, so maybe here and there 0.8 or 1.3 might be fully right, but you certainly will never see an official FullVR profile where 3.0 means real-world depth/scale.

I would definitely NOT take offense if you told me how to play games with vorpX. (I’m here, usually, to find out exactly that!) Fallout 3 is the only game I’ve had this problem with so far – remember though that I’m playing it in Lounge mode, so that might make a big difference. (I have started the process of getting it all working well in full VR mode, but I’m not there yet. Seems like a good game to try since it runs so well. I’m easily maintaining 45fps at 4K resolution and 2XAA. Looks really good! Lots of work to do mapping controls, getting the head-tracking spot on, etc. I usually just give up and switch back to lounge mode.) I’ve also heard that maybe the Pimax HMDs don’t “pop” the stereoscopic effect as much as some other brands. Anyway, with F03 in lounge mode the scene had very little depth, so little that my brain kept insisting that objects at any distance should be, focus-wise, much further away than they were and caused a lot of eyestrain (in camera-focus terms, my brain knew that everything past a certain point in a scene should be at “infinity” but it wasn’t actually there.) Once I got that figured out all has been fine and the few other titles I have so far haven’t caused the whole eyestrain issue I was getting with FO3.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You don’t have to tweak any vorpX setting at all to play Fallout 3 in FullVR except probably increasing the game’s resolution, which can be done on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu.

3D is dialed in to provide correct depth/scale and there is perfect 1:1 DirectVR memory scanner head tracking, same for the game’s field of view. Nothing to tweak except choosing a resolution that fits the performance of your PC. The best tweak you can apply for an optimal Fallout 3 FullVR experience is resetting the profile to default in the config app.

My general advice to you would be to tweak as little as possible. Profiles don’t come with some random settings that you have to tweak, settings are typically dialed in to make games work as intended.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

You don’t have to tweak any vorpX setting at all to play Fallout 3 in FullVR except probably increasing the game’s resolution, which can be done on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu.

3D is dialed in to provide correct depth/scale and there is perfect 1:1 DirectVR memory scanner head tracking, same for the game’s field of view. Nothing to tweak except choosing a resolution that fits the performance of your PC. The best tweak you can apply for an optimal Fallout 3 FullVR experience is resetting the profile to default in the config app.

My general advice to you would be to tweak as little as possible. Profiles don’t come with some random settings that you have to tweak, settings are typically dialed in to make games work as intended.

I’ll give that a shot after I make a record of all my existing settings. I have things looking so good in Lounge mode that I admit I’ve been very reluctant to change things.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can save your existing settings by dragging the game’s entry from the local profile list to your desktop. Vice versa to restore. There is no real reason to go back though. Just make sure to run the DirectVR scanner after entering the game world.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Done and… Done!

Gotta admit, that works brilliantly. The depth is fine in full VR mode, so that’s definitely related to something going on in Lounge mode on my end. It’s extraordinary how many pixels we have to push to get decent image sharpness on these HMDs. I may have a little more performance to spare, so I’m wondering if there is a way to increase the resolution beyond your “2400” setting? I’ve also tried putting FO3 back in full-screen mode and using 3840×2160 (4K 16×9), which also looks great. I don’t mind manually editing .ini files; just don’t want to waste time doing trial and error.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Had no problems manually editing FO3 resolutions in the ini. Looks really, really crisp once I get up around 4800×3000 (16×10) resolution, but that would probably mean switching to 72hz/36fps.

Anyway, I’m glad you talked me into resetting the profile. Looks bad (to me) in Lounge mode now, but in full VR it is indeed pretty much perfect right out of the box. Thanks!

Only real problem I have with the FO3 profile is the pip-boy screen, either having to switch to edge-peek (with no 3D) or set one eye dominant and close the other eye. Still do hope to see such items fixed, and like I mentioned, I wouldn’t mind paying a few bucks for each completely perfected profile I actually use. I also think it would be perfectly fair of you to ask for that (although, I expect others may not feel the same way).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!