Profile path?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Profile path?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I’m attempting to figure out what the path is for vorpX profiles. I’ve looked through all the usual suspects with no luck. After some minor problems I would like to restore mine from backups without needing to perform a full drive restore. Does anyone know the directory in which the profiles are stored? Thank you!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The profiles are stored in a database under C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX. You shouldn’t tinker with that though. Profiles have their own versioning system, replacing the database at best will cause newer profile updates to become unavailable and at worst mess things up entirely.

The right way to backup/restore settings and profiles is via drag and drop from/to the ‘Local Profiles’ list in the config app. That way they are imported/exported in a version-aware fashion.

Note that for official profiles only the user settings are saved to disk that way (.vps), while for custom profiles the entire profile ist written (.vpp). This distinction makes it possible that A. older user settings for official profiles can be restored even in cases where the underlying ‚system‘ part has been updated in the meantime due to profile breaking game updates, and B. I can update official profiles without breaking changes you may have made to your settings for a game.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

So there is no way to individually restore profiles unless I previously exported those profiles manually? Unfortunately I made my latest sector-clone of my boot drive before I realized these problems existed (missing profiles.) This makes it harder for me to revert to a prior revision of vorpX before these profiles went MIA. I understand the reasons for that happening, completely, but there should still be a technical solution on the user end to retain/restore what was already on my system (and still exists in my backups, just not in bootable form.) I now keep clicking the “do not update my profile database” because I’m worried I might lose more profiles I use.

Since I keep a sector-cloned boot drive, I can pretty easily (without risking borking things up in an unrecoverable way) try reinstalling an older revision of vorpX and then exporting profiles. If I do that, then update vorpX again and import the profiles, will my imported profiles function?

Thanks Ralf.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In principle yes, but only for custom profiles. As said above for official profiles only the user settings, not the ‘system’ part of a profile is exported. Also the ones you are referring to are currently explitely blocked in newer builds.

I haven‘t decided yet how to deal with the matter in long run though. Trust me I‘m as annoyed by the whole matter as you are.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

OK, understood. Thank you for responding; it’s saved me the trouble of trying to recover these on my own (they are not custom profiles.) Hope you figure a way through this issue.

Would it be possible for you to add a warning to the update process (or even here on the website somewhere) about game support that may be removed during the update process? It would, at the very least, let us delay the update until we’ve done another playthrough or some such.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I hope something like that will never happen again. I really don‘t want to get into details about how pissed I was (and partially still am), but the whole thing pretty much just became necessary as a precautionary measure because someone for whatever reason deemed in appropriate to publically drag vorpX (as well as other modders) into their own legal issues.

What I truly promise is that I will think hard about whether I can deal with the matter in a different way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!