Question about head tracking

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Question about head tracking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jjensson
    Participant

After i saw Stereo3DProductions’ video https://youtu.be/fa5rO1tveOA?t=181 i have a question about the head tracking in Immersive Screen Mode.

He plays Edith Finch with the head tracking “decoupled”, and then shows for a brief moment another setting. The dark video prevented me to see much, but i felt that the screen *and* the ingame-camera moved.

My question is, can Immersive Screen Mode be set so that the screen is 100% fixed in your view and the head tracking only influences the ingame-camera? Essentially the opposite of what he demonstrates in his gameplay.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If I understand you correctly, that would be ‘Full VR’ mode with the ‘Image Zoom’ option used. You can do that with any game if you like, usually it’s used as a workaround if no other option exists to modify a game’s field of view.

jjensson
    Participant

I think you misunderstood (?).

For example, i want to play Witcher 3 in Immersive Screen Mode. But i don’t want to be able to turn away my head from the screen, the screen should stay fixed.

The dude from Stereo3DProductions demonstrated the default vorpX setting where the head AND the camera moved at the same time. But his setting was like 50%. So i thought maybe when it’s on 100% you only move the content *inside* the screen, while the screen itself does not move.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Being able to look around the ‘screen’ is what actually defines immersive screen mode. If in immersive screen mode you would lock the camera rotation relative to the screen and only apply the game camera rotation, you would get very much the same thing as Full VR mode with a scaled down image via ‘Image Zoom’.

jjensson
    Participant

Oh, i see. Since i don’t have my HMD yet (Rift S or Valve Index :), i can only speculate about things that would be instantly clear to the user with practical experience.

BTW, are the required screen resolutions for the Immersive Screen Mode the same as FullVR, for example 1600×1200 etc, or do i need to use widescreen resolutions?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s up to you. Personally I prefer 16:10 in most cases in immersive screen mode, which provides a bit of leeway for looking around. Rule of thumb: 4:3 for full VR, 16:10/16:9 for immersive screen/cinema.

BTW: For many games vorpX handles resolution automatically that way, Witcher 3 included.

jjensson
    Participant

I didn’t know that, thanks for clearing it up, Ralf!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!