Question about performance on DK2

Homepage Forums Technical Support Question about performance on DK2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Riftafarian
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

First of all, let me just say you’ve done a great job getting DK2 compatibility up and running! My question is about performance – I had everything working smoothly on my DK1 but the same games are ‘stuttery’ on the DK2. Should the updated vorpX hit framerates harder than before, or would this be a problem outside of the software? Just trying to isolate the cause.

Thanks!

TiLT
    Participant

The resolution for the DK2 is more than twice that of the DK1, which probably explains most, if not all, of your performance issues.

Riftafarian
    Participant

I’m running the games at the same resolution as I was on the DK1 though, so I assume that’s not the issue here.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I would suspect that this may be refresh rate issue. VorpX itself isn’t slower than before, but the DK2 is more difficult to handle in many ways unfortunately. The DK2 runs at 75Hz while your monitor probably runs at 60Hz. This may lead to stuttering/syncing issues when you use vorpX configured with the DK2 as secondary display.

Two things you can try:

1. Set the DK2s refresh rate to 60Hz. Your monitor and the DK2 should use the same refresh rate in this case. For nVidia cards this can be done in the nVidia control panel. Not sure about AMD currently, but there probably is a similar option.

2. Set the DK2 as primary display in Windows and vorpX to “Use system settings” display wise (details are in the DK2 setup guide in the documentation). In this case also make sure to select a refresh rate of 75Hz in the game options if the game allows to select this.

Riftafarian
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me Ralf. The stuttering occurs when I use the Rift DK2 as my primary monitor with ‘Use system settings’ selected. I have been through the documentation and followed all of the instructions.

My monitor does run at 60Hz, by the way.

I tried setting my DK2 to 60Hz also to see if this helped, but the screen just went totally haywire.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again!

Ralf
    Keymaster

With Skyrim “Direct To Rift” mode in the Oculus Rift display config may work, but from my experience it’s even more sensitive in regard to stuttering when a games runs below 75fps (which almost certainly is the case in Skyrim).

Apart from that you could try to enable/disable VSync. That’s all I can think of.

Riftafarian
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, I tried turning VSync off. This made the headtracking smoother but the vertical lines on the screen were far too distracting.

I’ve adjusted the settings and have got to a comfortable level by changing the detail to medium and resolution to 1600×900 from the Skyrim launch options.

Seems something relating to the DK2 is affecting framerates, either inside or outside vorpX.

For anyone adjusting quality settings from the Skyrim launcher – once I had made the changes, the game went crazy with my character spinning uncontrollably. A system restart solved this issue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In regard to head tracking latency please check the new “G3D Latency Enhancement” on the input page of the ingame menu. It does wonders in low framerate situations (but causes a few visual glitches in Skyrim and probably other games too – everything has its price).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!