Question about Skyrim resolutions

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Question about Skyrim resolutions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    grumdark
    Participant

Hi all
    Which resolution might work correctly between 1600×1200 and 1920×1440 in original Skyrim dx9?Probably aspect ratio 5: 4 or 4: 3

I know the main resolutions suggested,but I am looking for a personalized resolution between the two mentioned above for a test,admitted by Vorpx during injection.

alegse
    Participant

If you can make windows custom resolutions try 9:8
    I like using 1395 X 1240 for CV1 with FOV=110
    This resolution is good since CV1 only has 1200 vertical pixels so you basically get the max resolution without losing too much performance by making unnecessary large resolution that is downscaled to the HMD or rendered out of view.
    Actually the true resolution of the HMD is 1080 X 1200 per eye, but I find this ratio bad since it makes the menus hard to read and the edge of the rendering can be easily seen as you look around quickly.

If you want a little better resolution try 1575 x 1400
    If you just want to keep with 4:3 try 1600×1200

Ralf
    Keymaster

For the original Skyrim there is an additional way since vorpX can upscale the resolution for this game internally. You can simply choose a common resolution like 1600×1200 and then use the “Internal Resolution Upscale” option in the vorpX ingame menu.

grumdark
    Participant

Perfect,thanks to both,for these suggestions.

grumdark
    Participant

Ok,Skyrim has just been perfect after the above tips,now SkyUi interface,is perfectly readable in the resolutions indicated by alegse.
    Additionally,I can control upscaling suggested by ralf in any resolutions.
    I can only applaud this.

There is another specific case, which I would like to solve,with Elder Scrolls Oblivion,now that Cv1 has more square screens.

In a fresh installation of Oblivion, during my first test with 1395×1240 resolution,Oblivion reescaled interface visible in window mode,but it was not usable for mouse.

Is there any solution for Oblivion resolution with readable interface? Any suggested resolutions or other specific changes?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If the cursor position doesn’t scale with the UI in a game, I would suggest to use EdgePeek mode for menus, inventory etc. In the last version EdgePeek was modified so that menus always work correctly in EdgePeek mode even if cursor position and scaled HUD/menu don’t fit otherwise.

I would actually suggest this almost always BTW since usually it’s more convenient to use menus while being able to look around the screen instead of having them at a fixed position in front of you.

FR3D
    Participant

Last week I ordered a Pimax.

It has a native resolution of 3840×2160 pixel.

what do you think – what will be the highest possible resolution for vorpx.

1920 x 2160 will be the max. theoretical resolution per eye.

Is it possible the adjust all thinkable resolutions within the
    fallout 4 / skyrim se *.ini file ?

best regards FR3D

Ralf
    Keymaster

The possible resolutions are only limited by your PC’s performance. In most games you probably will see quite severe performance issues with the full per eye res of a 4K display, but technically you can use any resolution you want.

grumdark
    Participant

If the cursor position doesn’t scale with the UI in a game, I would suggest to use EdgePeek mode for menus, inventory etc. In the last version EdgePeek was modified so that menus always work correctly in EdgePeek mode even if cursor position and scaled HUD/menu don’t fit otherwise.

I would actually suggest this almost always BTW since usually it’s more convenient to use menus while being able to look around the screen instead of having them at a fixed position in front of you.

I understand,although what I was trying to investigate,goes a little further,in my case.
    explain:
    Yesterday,when I used sugested resolution in this thread (for Skyrim),without me expecting anything else,I solved a “problem” in an extra way.It was a surprise.

The improvement is about, that I can now activate legible subtitles in additional quest mods,created by the community,extra to the game content.
    Some of these mod(in other countries),are translated into text in my country,by a small group of volunteers,but unlike Skyrim,translations of mod,do not have voices in my native language (logically),but at least allows to enjoy them,although for this specific case,need to activate subtitle for my.

This causes me,to investigate today a “possible similar solution” for Oblivion.
    Different to Skyrim,Oblivion was not doubled in voices in my country, only translated in texts in the year 2006.
    This forces me,to make a much,much more intensive use of interface than most players of other English speaking countries,not only to check inventory or some menu, also to read dialogues and subtitles continuously.

Surprised by the results of yesterday with Skyrim,I am trying to find some solution,through configuration,mod,mixed,no matter … to find a way to improve this.
    Edge Peek mode,is a first great ally for me,but after seeing yesterday the results of skyrim, encouraged me to investigate on this topic,unfortunately,Oblivion seems to have a somewhat different system UI and not all default window modes.

Edge peek mode,failed to solve problem on this occasion,interface in this resolutions,caused an error not visible text in dialogs in windows mode,(inside and outside edge peek mode).
    It’s a shame,because everything was almost perfectly rescaled automatically.
    I will have to investigate a little more.

We have hundreds of games on the market, but Elders Scrolls,they manage to steal my dream,when it comes to using them in the best possible way in Cv1.
    Sorry for huge text and my English,I recognize it is unbearable. :)

FR3D
    Participant

The possible resolutions are only limited by your PC’s performance. In most games you probably will see quite severe performance issues with the full per eye res of a 4K display, but technically you can use any resolution you want.

YES that’s what I wanted to hear!
    Tahk you very much !
    I have no problem with 10 FPS if I will have a 4K resolution !!
    can’t wait to receive the pimax …

are there any chances that the shadows will be corrected somewhere in the future ?
    Is it possible to switch of the non stereoscopic shadows (Fallout4/skyrim se) ?

best regards FR3D

Ralf
    Keymaster

In contrast to the original Skyrim there is no forward rendering path for shadows anymore in Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4. Deferred shadows like used in these often can’t be 100% fixed unfortunately.

It’s possible to transform and shift them around a bit which can make them look almost right in more important parts of the scene, and in the best case that can be *almost* indescernible from fully correct shadows most of the time, but that will never be as good as shadows that are directly rendered into the scene.

Deferred renderers are a great thing in many ways, but for applying Stereo 3D retroactively they are primarily a major PITA.

If the vorpX profile for a game contains shadow definitions, you can usually switch them off on the image page of the vorpX ingame menu. That is the case for both FO4 and Skyrim SE.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!