Question for Windows Mixed Reality users

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Question for Windows Mixed Reality users

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

With the upcoming HP Reverb G2 release I reckon that WMR will likely get a bump in popularity, so I’d like to compile an official guide with useful tips (if necessary).

My own experience is fairly limited, for the most part I just use my WMR headset for brief pre-release checks, so if anyone who uses WMR headsets more regularly than I do has some WMR specific hints, it would be great if you could share them here. Thanks in advance!

Mesenzio
    Participant

I use a Lenovo Explorer and I never had to do anything specific with VorpX to make it work.

apollon01
    Participant

Same here. It works fine out of the box.

I start first the WMR portal, then SteamVR, vorpX and the game in the end. Just a habbit. I am not sure whether it matters at all.

zeveral
    Participant

Echoing apollon01’s order of operation, always start the MR portal first. It takes the longest to get going and if you try to do start something in VR (even native VR games/apps) before it’s ready, things usually go wrong. The most common problem being the game simply doesn’t display anything in the headset. This is the “is the computer plugged in?” tech support of WMR.

Aside from that, there are a few things about WMR in general that aren’t specific to vorpx, but still worth mentioning. Unplug the headset when you’re not using it. The MR Portal has an annoying habit of randomly starting on its own if it “senses” that the headset is in use, even if it’s just sitting there doing nothing. Maybe the rotation of the earth convinced Windows that the headset was being put on. Who knows. A small warning on this though, I’ve seen people on forums that have said hot unplugging the USB caused damage to their headsets (probably a power spike). The reports are sporadic (usually cheap USB add-in cards or headsets with known low quality cables) and I’ve never had this issue in the few years I’ve been using WMR (Samsung O then later O+), but I’m mentioning it just in case.

In the Windows Mixed Reality settings tab (open Windows Settings, MR is [usually] the bottom option), there are a few options worth looking at. Some of them have the “Let Windows decide” option, which is generally a bad idea. You need to manually set the framerate to 90 hz or it will stick with the lower 60hz most of the time (even if you have the GPU power to go up to 90). It’s also (to me) worth setting input switching to manual; automatic can and will cause problems if you’re going back and forth between the headset and your normal desktop.

Also, if you don’t use the WMR Home much, it might be worth changing those to the lowest settings to reduce the overall WMR overhead. I haven’t done extensive testing on that one, so I’m not sure if it actually makes any difference, though. The rest of the settings are pretty much user preference and shouldn’t impact vorpx in any way. They probably do, but they shouldn’t. But they probably do.

Mesenzio
    Participant

Yes, starting the MR Portal first is good practice. I usually don’t have many problems either way, but sometimes it is indeed necessary.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks guys. Sounds as if an extra guide isn’t really required.

rooroosta
    Participant

Good to hear..i’m expecting my G2 in November.

Minabe
    Participant

WMR user here, never had to do anything other than starting vorpX, you can start it before or after the WMR Portal, should make no difference whatsoever.

The only thing is to choose SteamVR inside vorpX, with that you’re golden.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!