Question: Help me understand the Rendering chain

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Question: Help me understand the Rendering chain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Reaver Shadow
    Participant

Hoping someone can explain to me the sequences by which things are generated by the graphics card. I would like to know so i can determine which is more important in attempt to optimize for my preference (seem I need higher refresh so greater then image quality).

More specifically, how are rendering resolution settings (found in the Quest desktop app), and game resolution settings different. Or, how do they impact they tend to impact performance.

I have two possibly thoughts:
    (1) Game (virtual monitor) and virtual environment are rendered independently. And combined right before forming a final image (rasterization). In this thought, Rendering Resolution has no effect on the virtual monitor, only the environment. I image being in mindcraft world, and looking through a portal/mirror to Cyberpunk 2077. Therefore, 0.7x vs. 1.3x has little effect on the quality of the virtual monitor/game image.

(2) Game (virtual monitor) and virtual environment are rendered on top of another (like the game monitor is a texture). Assuming the game is rendered at a lower resolution, and the game would be scaled to the Rendering Resolution. Stretching the image and making it look fuzzy. I guess this would be like looking at a low resolution texture/posture in a game running 4k. The text would be all blurry. In this case, i’m not sure where to start to find optimal balance, Rendering Resolution or Game Resolution. Although Rendering Resolution would be the max, for game. It’s effectively the monitor resolution.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not really sure if I understand correctly what you are saying above, but in a nutshell the important resolution in terms of image quality is the game resolution, i.e. what is set in the games’s video/graphics options. Either by you or automatically if a profile supports automatic resolution. In the latter case a hint is shown and you find an option labeled ‘Resolution Quality’ in the vorpX menu.

The final headset resolution is determined by vorpX based on the game res and your headset, so you don’t have to care about that at all.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!