Questions about the auto configuration

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Questions about the auto configuration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    prinyo
    Participant

I have some questions about the way the new VorpX works.

1. How optional is the step of adding custom resolutions. What will happen if the resolution that is the best for the user’s system is not added to the GPU’s control panel? Does it matter if the game runs windowed or full screen?

2. How do I know at what resolution it is actually running. In the in-game menu there is a setting about the preferred resolution. How do I see what it is actually running at.

3. Does it consider the resolution upscale? In some of the games the VorpX menu has the option for upscale. Is this option considered when VorpX chooses the best resolution for the system? For example when seeing that this is set to 2 will VorpX choose a lower resolution?

Ralf
    Keymaster

One answer for all questions: much depends on the game so there are no general answers to your detail questions. The system is reasonably smart and chooses what is best depending on your PC and various pre-defined parameters for each game.

Just add the custom resolutions mentioned in the help (or this thread), choose the quality you ideally want in the vorpX menu and don’t care about anything else.

Internal upscaling is added on top if available for a game.

nieda113
    Participant

does the autocalculation take into consideration if there is a watercooled system running with an oc on cpu and gpu? I guess not because despite voprx resoluitons setting proposal i always cranck up the max resolution and i am fine with the result.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The auto calculation is based on a preferred quality that you can choose on the DirectVR page of the vorpX ingame menu, ranging from 1080p to 1680p. With the aforementioned custom resolutions added to your PC choosing a preferred resolution in vorpX that fits your PC’s performance in almost all cases will result in a better (for vorpX) resolution than setting it manually.

prinyo
    Participant

The reason I asked those questions is because I’m trying to understand what is happening on my PC with Oldrim. I have it set to 1680 as preferred, I also have it set to 2 upscale and yet the performance is way better than it is possible. Also when changing the preferred resolution I don’t see big changes happening. Do I need to restart the game for them to take an effect?
    I have this in the ini file at the moment: iSize H=1460, iSize W=1933, but I don’t know if VorpX is writing to the files or is it simply ignoring those settings.

So the fact that I have perfect performance with upscale of 2 leads me to believe that the base resolution it is choosing for me is not good enough. And because it is already times 2 there is nothing I can do to get a better resolution. And seems there is no way to see what it choose for me. Or maybe the values in the ini are exactly what it did choose?

Or – is it changing resolutions continuously based on performance? I noticed that the framerate gets better shortly after I enter a “heavy” cell? For example I go to the streets of a town. At this point I expect the fps to be around 20 – 25. And at first it is, but then it goes back to 40 – 45. At least when I tested earlier today. If this is the case then in Skyrim it is impossible to get a good auto – resolution outdoors and the game will be blurry for the most of the time (as most of it happens outdoors).
    But all of this is just guessing, hence my questions. It is all about options – until now I knew how to setup VorpX to work perfectly for my preferences, right now I’m not sure I know.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX writes the resolution in the ini and prompts you to restart the game when it is changed. Upscaling, as said above, is added on top. It is not considered in the resolution setting.

If you prefer to tweak everything manually, you can disable the resolution auto-setting in the vorpX menu. After doing so you can set whatever resolution you want manually exactly like with older vorpX versions. I wouldn’t really recommend that though, letting vorpX do its job quite likely will yield better results.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!