Questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vhalyr
    Participant

Greetings.

I have recently discovered the existance of this driver, and i am wondering a few things:

1) Will games, and especially third person games, be played seated? Or will they be full room, no matter what?
    2) How will third person games be handled? Did you mod in a first person camera? Will they be played with mouse and keyboard (or controller), or with the Head device controllers? I am thinking, mostly, about mass effect and dragon age, at this time: what can you tell me about those in vr? Worthy or not?
    3) How hard will it be to config games, and how to do that? From in game menu, or from .ini tinkering?
    4) Is compatible games’ gameplay modified in any way, or is it the same old one?
    5) Is there an in-game video to see how it’s gonna look like?

Thanks for the answers!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Your third person questions are largely covered directly on the front page. “Optionally you now can play third person games, strategy games, sports games etc. on a huge virtual cinema screen.”

Rule of thumb: first person games default to “Full VR” mode, third person games default to “Immersive Screen Mode”.

You can switch any game to FullVR mode though if you want (might require additional FOV adjustment). Whether that makes sense is a matter of taste, personally I think that for third person games in most cases the immersive screen mode, which places you very close to a huge 3D screen so that it almost fills your entire view, is the best way to play. Doubly true for games like Mass Effect/Dragon Age that require frequent UI/menu interactions. That way you are almost ‘inside the game’, but UI/menus can still be easily used normally.

Controller wise you can use mouse and keybord, a gamepad or your VR cotrollers, which vorpX can map to either mouse+kb or gamepad controls. For many games vorpX adjusts the important settings like resolution and FOV automatically these days. vorpX does not change the gameplay, that is beyond its scope.

Vhalyr
    Participant

Controller wise you can use mouse and keybord, a gamepad or your VR cotrollers, which vorpX can map to either mouse+kb or gamepad controls. For many games vorpX adjusts the important settings like resolution and FOV automatically these days. vorpX does not change the gameplay, that is beyond its scope.

Very interesting…..Does this mean that, in case of the HTC Vive, i do not need to turn on the light houses? Or are they still needed for head tracking?

Demosthenes
    Participant

If you turn off your lighthouses your Vive will not work.
    That connection is needed for head tracking and the Vive requires at least one to be on. Your controllers, if not in use, will auto power off.

By the way, Mass Effect looks great on a virtual cinema screen in 3d.
    Often some of the best Vorpx experiences are with such a screen.
    Trine and other similar platformers are great while seated.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Light houses are still required for head tracking. Also VR controllers are rendered in-game, either as Vive wands or hands, which requires light houses to track them. Quite useful since the current axis/button mapping is shown on the rendered controllers.

Vhalyr
    Participant

Thanks for the answers…

I have another question: will this work with any version of the compatible games? Such as steam versions, gog versions, origin versions etc. ?
    Because i have read on the internet of people having issue to make this work with origin

Ralf
    Keymaster

In most cases it works with all versions, as with every rule there may be an exception here and there. The Mass Effect games as well as Dragon Age work fine with Steam and Origin, also with GOG (as far as available there).

Vhalyr
    Participant

Hello again….I finally bought this software, and i am trying to make it work with origin.
    Problem is: nothing happens. Game won’t start. I got a message ”injection failed”, but other than that, the game simply doesnt start…

Now, i have an htc vive, so in ”general” settings i set it to ”steamVr”, is that correct? And if so, shoould i have steam vr up and running when using vorpx?

Ralf
    Keymaster

SteamVR is the right selection for a HTC Vive.

In regard to your injection issue:

There probably an injection conflict with some other program on your PC. Many programs also hook into games and can cause such an issue. Not all of them are obvious.

Hottest candidates are: virus scanners, any sort of CPU/GPU utilitiy, game video recording/streaming software, chat programs and generally everything that can show notifictations in games.

Best way to trouble shoot this is to disable/uninstall programs running in the background.

Also check the trouble shooting guide in the vorpX help which lists a few more, less common things.

If you can’t solve the issue this way, please try to start a few games, then create a trouble shoot data archive in the vorpX config app and send it to support |at| vorpx com for inspection.

Vhalyr
    Participant

Thanks, will try that….Another question: is there an option to make a virtual keyboard appear in the head device monitors, so that i can see what i am typing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!