Ralf: Skyrim under water

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Ralf: Skyrim under water

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Ralf, I just noticed that I do not have any imagery at all while under water. I just get a blank screen as soon as I go completely under water. I can peer into the water at about half submerged but as soon as I go completely under I get a blank screen.

Any ideas? Is this a vorpx issue? Have you seen/heard this before?

I am presently running old Skyrim at modified medium settings in 4K on a 1080Ti. Modified as in all things listed in view distance cranked a bit more than medium settings so that they appear at further distances…but not as much as high settings.

Cheers!!!

PhoenixSpyder

alegse
    Participant

I have had the same issue forever. I avoid underwater, but it is necessary for some dungeons. I just save-exit and play on monitor until passed the water, but sure would be nice to see if there is a fix.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unfortunately disabling the offending shader(s) causes other glitches. While that was done for quite a while, I eventually reverted it.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Okay, thanks. Hoping this can be sorted out somehow. Could an option be added in Vorpx that detects Skyrim and gives the option of turning on/off the offending shaders for those who don’t mind occasional glitches while under water?

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Is this bug only with DirectVR or geometric 3D? If so it would be easy to just turn off for these short portions of the game.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s a general Geometry 3D issue. I’ll look into again, but no promises. The old fix caused to many other issues to be viable.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Well, then it will only take a few seconds to turn G3D off for water sections. Not perfect, but how often would you wade into water in a full set of armor anyway ;)

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Thanks Ralf

LukeRoss
    Participant

IIRC, what did the trick for me to see under water was a simple tweak to SkyrimPrefs.ini: in the [Imagespace] section, change

bDoDepthOfField=1

to

bDoDepthOfField=0

Ralf
    Keymaster

That works great. Thanks for the heads up.

Will be set automatically in the next vorpX version.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Nice find LukeRoss.

I decided to use z-buffer for Skyrim as it give me the best performance at my preferred res settings at the cost of slightly inferior 3D as apposed to geometry robbing half the performance for marginal 3D improvement. Very important when pushing SS resolution limits. So much smoother for my liking.

Cheers!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!