RE 7 Technical doubt

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings RE 7 Technical doubt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    grumdark
    Participant

Hello, I would like to express a concern and technical doubt that I have had for some time with this title.

Resident Evil 7 PC, does not have good support for resolutions with narrow ratio aspect, so it introduces some black bands.
    The resolution suggested by Vorpx, can help, along with some option to mask a bit this, but logically it is not the most ideal, if we had other possibilities.
    Taking into account the screens of our current headsets, this for me, is one of the main reasons that slow down and hinder an almost perfect complete fullVR support with Vorpx, since in turn they indirectly affect others, which otherwise could show an experience more similar to PSVR RE7.

While today I was looking at a trainer tool for this game, I noticed that besides modifying the field of vision, it included another section to change aspect ratio, but I do not understand it very well.

My question is, if using this tool or some other way … would it be possible to modify aspect ratio for RE7, and obtain an image with 5: 4 or 3: 4 format without black bands?

I think it would improve completely and could lead to one of the best games to play with Vorpx within the category (1st person fullVR).

Is there any way to approach the issue of aspect ratio with some modern games like this case?Or could it be implemented in Vorpx for these situations?

grumdark
    Participant

add some new information, this is the tool to which I refer in the previous post.
    Does anyone know enough about this tool to know if a resolution with aspect ratio 5: 4 without bands is possible?

https://civilwolf.wordpress.com/2017/11/02/resident-evil-7-fov-ar-trainer/

Could I derive some possible solution through directVR for the official profile with this RE7?

grumdark
    Participant

Update: I have been experimenting and doing some tests with the aforementioned topic in this thread. After testing versions 121217, also 020319_2 civilwolf and an old version RE7 Aspect Ratio Patcher.
    http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=31880&start=240

I have managed to make sure that it is possible that the game can be represented in narrower formats without the upper and lower black bands visible.

At this time, the default settings in the Vorpx menu, is optimized for the current situation with “rectangular” aspect and the resolution recommended by Vorpx 1200×900,logically to mitigate the problem, therefore, to perform tests with narrower aspect ratios, I have had to manually modify them to other FOV enhancement/Zoom values.

The conclusion after the tests, is that I firmly believe that RE7 can drastically improve its use with headset like Oculus Rift Cv1 with screens of 5:4 format.
    The experience in this case is much more similar (although not 100% equally logical) to the use of a Psvr with this game in its native form.
    When launching the game during some of my tests, I have also observed other positive changes in the distance between our eyes and the menu with the image of the radio cassette with RE7. Other small aspects would need to be retouched.

In general, I think that if we find a way to automate this through memory, and taking into account that the G3D profile has recently improved the problem of weapons,with some small touches, I think the final result could be very good.

My question for Ralf, after all my tests, is whether it is technically possible and feasible, to automate using Vorpx by default, a 5: 4 aspect ratio for example and a resolution according to the new format, retouching the current setting and profile to this possible new situation. I’m sure it would improve drastically.
    regards

neodraig
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your tests, it might be useful when I’ll play RE7.

I was hoping that Capcom would finally release the game officially on Oculus, but I don’t think it will ever happen now.

If only Ralf could find a way to get the direct VR scan working…

grumdark
    Participant

No problem, I am also interested in any possible improvement for this title specifically.

I agree, I certainly do not trust if Capcom decide whether or not to develop VR support natively for the PC version … especially after certain events.

On the other hand, I would like very much to read some opinion about the implementation that I propose, from the developer of Vorpx.
    If you think it’s possible or not, or if I’m writing some stupidity when thinking about the possibility of introducing something like this “automating” as much as possible as a DirectVR function or any optional type, or if it’s complex and not worth the time or effort.

More than anything, it is to know if there is any possibility or to totally discard something like that from my head. If the answer is a resounding NO, in my case, I am prepared to accept an answer as such, although I do not like it, but I would like to know what possibilities we have about something like that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You don’t have to do anything to get this game working well, setup is already fully automated. If that doesn’t work for you, please reset the profile to default and check whether you maybe accidentally disabled settings optimization in the vorpX config app.

The game has almost perfect G3D and rather well working low lateny mouse based head tracking, a combination of automatic ini edits and image zoom is used to automatically adjust the FOV within the restrictions of the game.

Make sure to use the profile’s default settings and set the game to the recommended resolution. Optionlly you can use the game’s internal supersampling to enhance image quality like suggested by vorpX if your PC can handle it.

grumdark
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

One last doubt, regarding reset the profile to default, and the combination of automatic ini edits and image zoom is used to automatically adjust the FOV within the restrictions of the game.

After doing this, is it normal to see a lower black bar visible at the bottom of the Oculus Cv1 screen or should it appear without a black bar currently visible?
    regards

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game has an FOV cap, hence the rest is handled via image zoom, so slight black bars are normal in this case.

Pretty much how the vorpX help recommends to handle such cases manually, just fully automated.

grumdark
    Participant

Ok, now I understand perfectly and I agree as a general rule, however, I have been testing both ways.

On the one hand, the automated default profile, which is recommended for the majority of users, which you also recommend.

On the other hand, a personal and manual test with the help of a trainer aspect ratio + FOV trainer, (ticked Do not optimized game setting ONLY in this case)
    with this mentioned method there are no upper or lower visible bars at all, the headset shows the image completely filled. Tested with Oculus Rift CV1.

There are actually 2 vertical bars on the sides to get this, but these are not visible at all using the headset, except when we activate edge peek mode momentarily with the mouse central button.

The result was quite good, and also led to a game start menu a little further away, the less good part … is that I do not have perfectly calculated the FOV with this new manual test, and there is a small distortion in the movement with the head, but it is hardly noticeable with the movement of the pointer.
    This happens even if we move zoom to its maximum value in vorpx internal menu.

The reason for creating this thread, was because I would like you to take a small look at this method or test with these external tools, and a few minutes of time.
    You understand more accurately than I do, how to do a manual calculation for FOV in a closer aspect ratio.
    These tools usually use LUA programming language, and open source code.

In the case of achieving this, evaluate if it is possible and feasible, the integration of the tool, or similar method, in order to perfect the current profile by default.

I do not usually make requests of this type for any game in the market, but considering that it is a “quite important” game.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!