Recent update brakes aspect ratio? (Witcher 3)

Homepage Forums Technical Support Recent update brakes aspect ratio? (Witcher 3)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jjensson
    Participant

Hi Ralf, i hope you had an enjoyable Christmas time!

I just came back home after a few days abroad and updated to the current version.

Immediately i discovered an issue: Witcher 3 in Immersive Screen is stretched vertically. I use a 16:9 resolution i set in-game (2560×1440), and on the monitor it shows fine, native resolution, proper aspect ratio.

In VorpX though, the Immersive Screen is stretched vertically (it looks like 16:10 or something similar) and all perfect circles in menus etc are ellipses now.

I imported a saved profile from before, same issue. Is there a new setting somewhere, or is this a new bug?

I hope i/we can fix it – i just can’t enjoy playing like this. And, you know, this time of the year is the best time for playing games (and the most :)…

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can adjust the curvature now, that’s the only thing I can currently imagine to affect the perceived aspect. When you raise the curvature, you also change the perceived aspect although the actual screen aspect is still the same. You should see a warning about this distortion in the menu when you raise the curvature above a certain threshold.

The default should be more less the same as before, but if you raised the curvature, you could try to reduce it. Let me know if that was your issue or not.

jjensson
    Participant

I have not adjusted the curvature at all. I’ll try changing it, though.

I can’t imagine that being the issue though, because the stretch is very noticeable and wasn’t there before.

Ralf
    Keymaster

if your monitor happens to have a different aspect ratio than the game resolution, please also make sure to either play windowed or true fullscreen, not “windowed fullscreen”. Some games do slightly odd things when you for example run a 16:9 res on an 21:9 screen in “windowed fullscreen” mode, which may confuse vorpX.

jjensson
    Participant

I have a 16:9 monitor and run 16:9 proper (i think) full screen resolution.

I’ll try some things in the next hour, and get back to you.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I just checked it. There seems to some odd issue where init the screen aspect is set to 16:10 instead of the actual game aspect when the aspect setting is on ‘Auto’. Not sure why yet, nothing really changed there.

Immersive mode always uses ‘Auto, but you can deal with this by playing in ‘Cinema Mode’ and either setting the screen aspect manually or just briefly switching to something else and then back to ‘Auto’. At least for me ‘Auto’ only fails when the screen is initialized, later it works fine.

Reinstall vorpX tomorrow with your web installer. I should be able to find the glitch and have a fix up until then, but won’t raise the version number, so no auto update.

Ralf
    Keymaster

False alarm. As far as I can tell everything works as it should. My guess would be that (like me) you overlooked a prompt to restart the game after vorpX changed the resolution in the .ini to 16:10. After the restart all is fine for me.

I’ll do some more tests, but for now I can’t really find anything wrong.

jjensson
    Participant

Ralf, i can confirm that something’s not quite right with the immersive mode.

Just to rule out some error on my part, i started the game two times in a row – no change.

Some observations:

1) Vertical screen curvature is OFF in my settings.

2) The image is not stretched vertically, but shrinked horizontally (so instead of 16:9 i have ~14:9). Issue can be seen best in the quick menu for changing signs/bombs).

3) Changing the horizontal curvature makes no difference.

Then i switched to Cinema Mode – same issue! I changed the Aspect from Auto to 16:9 – problem solved!

Then i switched back to Immersive Mode, and boom – 14:9 aspect in all its glory – the image is compressed again from the sides.

Can you reproduce this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I could once, but that was due to vorpX having changed the resolution to a 16:10 res, whicht required a restart. I initially overlooked that restart hint. Once I restarted the game (now running at 1920×1200 as set by vorpX) screen and game res matched again.

I’ll do some more tests, but for now I can’t find anything wrong.

If you still encounter this issue, for now please use the ‘Cinema Mode’ workaround mentioned above. If I can find anything, I’ll change it for the next vorpX update. Now is weekend for me too.

jjensson
    Participant

I appreciate your help. Maybe it would be good to have an aspect ratio setting in the Immersive Screen mode as well? Then i can set it and forget it. :)

Enjoy your weekend. If anything more comes up, i’ll report on Monday.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If I can find something, it will be fixed. Just not on a Saturday evening.

Hope until then you can live with either the slight stretch, the Cinema Mode workaround or setting the game to 1920×1200.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Issue is found and fixed for the next update. Until then please use one of the workarounds.

jjensson
    Participant

Wonderful! Thanks for looking into it so quickly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!