Reducing / eliminating screen aliasing in Cinema / Immersive screen

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Reducing / eliminating screen aliasing in Cinema / Immersive screen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to reduce / eliminate screen aliasing in Cinema mode and Immersive Screen?

I’m on a non TI GTX 1080

Last year I played quite a lot of Rocket League in VorpX and everything looked pretty crisp. Obviously not as crisp as my 4k tv hooked up to my VR PC, but the 3D effect was more than worth the trade off for me.

However this year I’m noticing a lot more aliasing. I don’t know if it’s just that I don’t remember last year because I was so wowed with the 3D effect or if there’s another issue going on. I’m using the beta SteamVR drivers with motion smoothing.

I’ve tried the following resolutions: 1600×1200 and 1920×1440. I significantly improved the image by disabling depth of field and bloom. Also I believe increasing super sampling helped (it for sure helped back in 2017 when I played Fallout New Vegas with Vorpx though that looked okay even without super sampling, but SS greatly enhanced it).

But I still get some aliasing. It’s most noticeable in the “barn” arena where there’s a lot of white textured lines on the ground. They alias like crazy and I found it really distracting. I’d love to smooth them out. Ingame anti aliasing didn’t do much, but didn’t harm performance either.

I tried crystal image normal and aggressive, and why they worked they didn’t remove that aliasing I mentioned with the white lines.

Any tips, hints, and suggestions would be greatly welcome. VorpX rocks! I’ve heard the cinema and immersive screens are the unsung heroes of this software so I want to use it at the best possible image quality. Up until now, I’ve mainly been using VorpX in VR mode, except for Rocket League last year which seemed to look much better than what I am experiencing now.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In regard to aliasing vorpX isn’t any different than monitor gaming, so the same recommendations apply: to get rid of ‘jaggies’ and other aliasing artifacts either crank up the game resolution or enable antialising. Nothing really special about it.

Raising the super sampling multiplier in SteamVR/Oculus does not really help and wastes precious processing time. To super sample with vorpX raise the game resolution above your headset’s resolution.

1440p should suffice for immersive screen mode, but if you can afford to set something even higher performance wise, there is no harm in trying.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Thanks for the tips Ralf! That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!