Render resolution of Immersive Screen mode

Homepage Forums Technical Support Render resolution of Immersive Screen mode

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jjensson
    Participant

Ralf, i just need a quick info. I’m re-evaluating some settings i made with my Rift S. Unfortunately i can’t check myself, because i returned it weeks ago. And AFAIK, i can’t reach the vorpX ingame-menu on flat screen.

I ran The Witcher in Immersive Screen, game resolution was set to 1920×1080. What is the render resolution that vorpX uses in this case (per eye)? And what render resolution would vorpX use if i set the game to 2560×1440?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game always gets rendered at the resolution you set. The resolution vorpX uses for the second step when the final image is sent to the headset is usually larger and never smaller.

jjensson
    Participant

I’m just trying to find out at what “quality level” it did run then, and how much improvement i could have with a higher res (on a better graphics card). I remember Edge Peek giving me a bit denser game detail, on a pixel level.

Rift S render target (AFAIK):
    1648 x 1776

Different quality levels:
    1.2x supersampling: 1978 x 2131
    1.4x supersampling: 2307 x 2486
    1.5x supersampling: 2472 x 2664

So, if i understand correctly, w- 1920×1080 game resolution i would’ve been roughly @ 1.2x SS resolution? Or more?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Depends on which mode you play in and how close/far you set the screen distance in cinema/immersive screen mode. The closer you set the screen distance the more pixels you need for 1:1 pixel mapping to the display, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

The only rule you need keep in mind is to set the resolution as high as your PC allows without sacrificing too much performance.

jjensson
    Participant

Damn, then it looks like i have to try myself a Rift S again, this time with a RTX 2070 Super, and hope that i can tease more detail out of this HMD.

I’m frankly tired of waiting for the Index or Reverb. :)

apollon01
    Participant

Ralf,

Do I understand correctly that Full VR mode renders the image at 1:1 pixel mapping if the game resolution matches as closely as possible the HMD resolution (at least on the vertical resolution)?

Thanks,

Milan

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s more complicated. For 1:1 pixel mapping you need a higher res than the screen res of the headset due to lens distortion, which magnifies the image center. Also various vorpX settings play a role: image zoom/aspect mode in FullVR, respectively the screen distance in cinema/immersive screen mode.

Long story short: providing an exact number is impossible, but as a rule of thumb you get close to 1:1 pixel mapping with a 1440p resolution. Doesn’t hurt to use something higher though if your PC allows that performance wise for a particular game. Higher game resolutions are vorpX’s equivalent of supersampling with native apps, so the higher the better image quality wise. Just keep an eye on performance, that’s equally important in VR.

apollon01
    Participant

Thanks Ralf,

The 1440p applies to what VR headset?

I got the Samsung Oddysey+.

Thanks!

Milan

Ralf
    Keymaster

As outlined above it’s not really possible to provide one exact number since it depends on various settings. For your Oddysey+ something slightly higher would be 1:1.

The best way to approach resolution is to use the highest resolution you can afford performance wise for a game. For older games you may well be able to play at 2400p. For newer, highly demanding games you may have to stick to a lower resolution like 1200p even with a fast GPU.

apollon01
    Participant

Ok, thank you for the info.

Milan

jjensson
    Participant

I have a Rift S again, and i tried The Witcher 1 with 2560×1440 resolution instead of 1920×1080 in Immersive Screen mode.

It didn’t run smooth (i’m still waiting for my RTX 2070 Super), but the detail was much better now. Played like this, the resolution of the Rift S seems quite OK.

Grocs
    Participant

Depends on which mode you play in and how close/far you set the screen distance in cinema/immersive screen mode. The closer you set the screen distance the more pixels you need for 1:1 pixel mapping to the display, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

The only rule you need keep in mind is to set the resolution as high as your PC allows without sacrificing too much performance.

Hi Ralf, if playing in Cinema mode, and leaving the offset at the default, is that a standard 1:1 pixel mapping then? I take it if you move it closer it then has to increase the resolution?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Depending on the headset cinema mode at default resolutions should already be slightly better that 1:1. The cinema screen covers about half the hight of headset display, so 1080p is enough.

Higher resolutions still don’t hurt if possible performance wise. Supersampling is always nice if you can afford it.

Grocs
    Participant

Thanks Ralf – appreciate the advice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!