Rendering the keyboard in VR

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Rendering the keyboard in VR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vhalyr
    Participant

Hey, i was wondering….the only bad thing that i experience when playing VR with mouse and keyboard is that i cannot see my keyboard while i keep the head device on, so i do not see which buttons i am pressing. Is it possible, or will it be possible in future, to see the keyboard while wearing the head device (maybe using the built in cameras)? That would be a real game changer for me

RJK_
    Participant

Rendering a keyboard, i my eyes would only make sense if the software can locate the exact position of keyboard and fingers in VR space. You will probably need a hardware which doesnt yet exist.

If you own a vive you could try the inbuilt camera but the image quality should be very low. If you are using Windows 8/10 you could play around with the desktop viewer and external cameras.

Vhalyr
    Participant

Rendering a keyboard, i my eyes would only make sense if the software can locate the exact position of keyboard and fingers in VR space. You will probably need a hardware which doesnt yet exist.

Eh, i feared it might have been like this…Playing without seeing what i am pressing is very annoying though….I don’t really care about image quality, if i get at least an idea of what i am about to press…

Demosthenes
    Participant

You could use a device like the Nostromo N52, which replaces a keyboard. I use that with an MMO multi-button mouse, so no need to look at a keyboard.

Otherwise just buy a cheap webcam, position it directly above your keyboard and use the Dash system in Oculus to place the window of the camera’s output in the same virtual place as your keyboard is in the real world. Works very nicely.

For vive you would need an overlay program like OVRdrop to do the same.

Tracked keyboard peripherals are coming though…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!