Request: Diorama 3D mode

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Request: Diorama 3D mode

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nukemarine
    Participant

I know this is not an easy request, but I think it’s something that’ll give more life to VorpX since the window on the VR portion is closing.

Diorama 3D is basically a tweak of the existing 3D mode. If done correctly, it turns the normal game screen in 3D mode into more a box/window you view through. Instead of a fixed camera, it reacts to head movement further increasing the diorama effect. The 2D hud elements would not move and stay in relative position to the “screen”.

Such an update if done right opens up many, many more games to work with VorpX. Almost all 3rd person games would work wonderfully. There’s less problems with trying to surround the player with the game world and instead present from a pseudo-fixed perspective. All RTS games, Tell Tale games, arcade like games can be experienced in a fresh way.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not 100% sure whether I understand you correctly, but if I do that is already possible. If you switch to cinema mode, preferably using the “Ambient” scene, and then move the screen closer, you can have a very immersive cinema mode experience. Head tracking can be turned on/off with “Lock Head Tracking” in the cinema mode options.

This setup is quite useful especially for 3rd person games.

The next vorpX version will come with a preset (working title “Immersive Screen”) that adjusts everything that way with a single click, but you can already do it manually since cinema mode was introduced a long time ago.

Nukemarine
    Participant

Ok, I experimented a bit with Tell Tale, Brothers and Half-Life 2. I put the game into cinema mode. Headtracking was not locked. However, I set rotational to 0.00 so looking around did not turn the camera. Positional movement work somewhat but not perfect.

I’m going to guess that games like Brothers will need to have positional scale adjusted to fit user’s comfort if the in game camera position can be adjusted via headset position.

What could help a bit with cinema mode is option for Headset to control mouse’s position on screen (POV matches mouse’s position). This should be similar to what Virtual Desktop offers. Another option could be the wands/controllers position the mouse via laser pointer (solid, dashed, invisible).

I’ll try to experiment a bit more by download more 3rd person games.

dborosev
    Participant

I use Cinema mode to play almost all my VorpX games. It kicks ass if you set it up right. Zoom in right up close, set the 3d to around 1.3. Its like looking into a 3D world through a window you are sitting right up inside. Use a decently high FOV.

dborosev
    Participant

Ralf, the immersive screen thing sounds good. But please keep the option to be able to set things up manually too. I like being able to tweak certain things for certain games.

RJK_
    Participant

I ve tried “Dreamfall:The longest journey” (3rd Person). The room was in 3D but the headtracking was connected to mouse movements.(as usual in many 3rd person games). :-(

Last night i thought of the following:
    To the software any coordinate of a given room (character position ect.) should be known. Otherwise the environment could not be rendered in 3D. Right ?
    So what i thought of is how about manually hook the virtual camera to a user defined coordinate, for example 1 m behind the character, then from this point calculate the headtracking.
    If its absolutely not possible to deconnect headtracking from mousemovement, how about at least making a proper headtracking possible at the latest camera position while the mouse is not moving.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In cinema mode you can disable the game head tracking with the “Lock Head Tracking” option in the vorpX ingame menu (main page).

What also works quite nice in cinema mode is to reduce the headtracking sensitivity instead of locking it completely so that rotating your head still has a slight effect on the game camera.

RJK_
    Participant

In Tombraider 1-5 (Opentomb, which is a free opengl renderer of the game series.) the headtracking works perfectly. The camera does not follow the mouse.The camera can be movend with left-right-up-down keys and also be headtracking of course. This is how it should be in a third person game.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX usually can’t change the way third person games handle their camera, that would require access to the source code of a game.

RJK_
    Participant

I cant find “Lock Head Tracking” , removed ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Exchanged for “Head Tracking Multiplier” in the cinema mode UI. Instead of just on/off you now have more fine grained control. Setting the multiplier to 0.0 does what locking did before.

AkiRa
    Participant

I think this video can explain better what the OP thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I can’t believe it’s been over 10 years since this little marvel.

dborosev
    Participant

This would require mapping head movement to camera movement in the game. (Not just camera rotation) I don’t think that’s possible unless the game supports those controls already?

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ AkiRa:

In theory that should work for any game that has positional tracking in full VR mode with vorpX, i.e. many games with Geometry 3D support.

Currently positional tracking is always disabled in cinema mode. I’ll check whether it not only works in theory but also in practice. If it works sufficiently well, positional tracking will be enabled in cinema mode for games that have positional tracking.

RJK_
    Participant

That video looks amazing !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!