Resolution

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sporphis
    Participant

Is the resolution that I specify in the game settings the resolution for one eye or for both? In other words: would the native resolution of the Rift be achieved at 1280×800 (16:10) or 640×800 (4:5)?

Sporphis
    Participant

Also, should I rather use the native resolution or does rendering at higher resolutions and downsampling improve the visual quality?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Hi Sporphis,

Downsamplig improves the visual quality (but also makes the image slightly blurrier).

You might also want to try 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions which make things easier for vorpX’s Aspect Ratio Correction. There is a possibility though that those aren’t shown correctly on your Rift. If the image looks odd with 4:3/5:4 resolutions, stick to 16:10.

Sporphis
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, Ralf.

So back to my original question, is the image rendered twice in the specified resolution (in Geometry mode)? And if yes, wouldn’t 4:5 (not 5:4) be the best aspect ratio for stereoscopic side-by-side images in the Rift?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The safest resolution is the native Rift resolution (1280×800).

Besides that, you can try every other resolution you want, and see how that works out. The ideal resolution for vorpX would be a resolution with 1:1 aspect ratio. If you want to experiment with custom resolutions and GPU scaling, you can try to get that working somehow.

If you destroy your Rift or graphics card while doing so, you’re on your own though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!