Reticle too high

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Reticle too high

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rustyshackleford
    Participant

Alot of times in fps games i find the reticle a bit higher than i would like. is there any way to lower the reticle?

Smoils
    Participant

I usually play in immersive screen and my solution to that is to just move screen up until reticle feels at a comfortable level. i dont remember but it might be possible to move screen even in full vr mode

usn09derek
    Participant

I usually play in immersive screen and my solution to that is to just move screen up until reticle feels at a comfortable level. i dont remember but it might be possible to move screen even in full vr mode

I’m having this problem, but I’m not sure what you’re saying here.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The reticle in FullVR mode is never too high, that’s an – albeit understandable – illusion. The reticle is always at the optical center, *BUT* all VR headsets have a neat little optimization to maximize the amount of pixels used where it counts:

The VR camera matrix is vertically asymmetrical, i.e. more pixels are rendered below the eye position than above. That accommodates human vision, which focuses more on things below our eyes than above. Some headsets do that to a greater extent than others, but all do it to a degree.

Since normal games don’t have such an asymmetrical camera but the headset does, depending on vorpX’s ImageZoom setting the screen of your headset may be fully utilized above the eye position, but not below. In other words: while the reticle might not be centered on the screen, it’s in fact still at the center of the camera.

Unless ImageZoom is capped because a game is known to only work with a certain FOV range, you can raise the ImageZoom value to the max to fully utilize the sceen. That comes at a price though: higher ImageZoom means lower pixel density and requires a higher FOV, which costs performance. Defaults are carefully chosen, so better don’t touch these things unless you fully understood the above. Take this hint seriously please.

Confused? Understandable. Still 100% what is happening. Everything working as it should – and has to.

CAVEAT: No rule without exception. In G3D games things may get a bit out of sync if you use vorpX’s camera height modifier. You’d have to actively do that though. So unless you changed the camera height in a G3D game you don’t have to worry about this exception from the rule.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!