Revised list of recommended games

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Revised list of recommended games

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    deathorb
    Participant

Hello Vorpxians! I am delighted to have played through Enderal for Skyrim in full Geometry 3D with Vorpx on the Pimax 4K.
    It was brilliant and made other 2d games very boring!
    Now I am asking you all – what are the best games to play in VR right now?
    The requirements are as follows –
    1. The game has to be full geometry 3D only – anything less just doesn’t do it!
    2. The game must be a full experience – not like those silly little VR games!
    3. The game must be high rated in general, preferably first person!

Any suggestions would be great!

P.S. I have tried Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 and 4, Doom and others – but they are unfortunately non-geometry 3D and don’t look great or immersive enough!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The best games to start with are undoubtedly those with Direct VR support. After applying Direct VR these have perfect 1:1 head tracking and perfect FOV without the need for any further setup. In *some* cases Direct VR even provides basic roomscale, i.e. you can walk around a bit more freely than with the normal vorpX positional tracking.

In no particular order:

Bioshock 1 (original version in DX9 mode)
    Bioshock 2 (original version in DX9 mode)
    Bioshock Infinite
    Borderlands 2
    Borderlands Pre-Sequel
    Skyrim (original DX9 version is best for VorpX)
    Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Fallout 4
    Dishonored
    Half-Life 2 (incl. Ep. 1+2)
    The Stanley Parable
    Dear Esther (Source engine version)
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Black Mesa
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Mirror’s Edge
    Aliens Colonial Marines
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Quake III
    Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein [2001]

My latest personal recommendation would be Half-Life 2 Episode 1, which I just recently played for two hours. Something I don’t do nearly as often as I’d like to these days. Call me heavily biased, I am for sure, but that was more fun than 99% of made for VR games. I actually ended up doing that after buying and trying a bunch of highly praised made for VR titles the same evening.

In case someone never played HL2 Episode 1: right at the start you enter an alien fortress, which not only still looks great after all these years, it’s also a perfect-for-VR mix of shooting sequences and (easy) physics puzzles. Most importantly: all that in a highly intense atmosphere that almost inescapably sucks you into the game. Creating such an intense atmosphere is the hard part of making good single player shooters and it really makes all the difference in VR. Hard to top if you ask me.

Similar things could be said about Bioshock, Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 remake), the Fallout games, Skyrim or – insider tip – Aliens: Colonial Marines, which may just be a mediocre shooter on the monitor, but is actually great with vorpX.

Important side note: whenever possible play standing with Touch controllers or Vive wands!

One last thing: not a Direct VR game, but also extremely intense (and visually great) is Resident Evil 7. I chickened out before the introduction mission was over. Good luck with that one.

deathorb
    Participant

An excellent and all encompassing response indeed! I would only ask if Dishonored 2 is also playable in direct VR? And how about Sniper elite 4 with geo 3d and VR?
    Was also hoping that Prey would have Geo 3d but I think it doesn’t – is that true?

Great list there anyway!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Don’t you ever say Dishonored 2 to me again. I literally spent over 2 weeks – enduring up to five minutes load times per game start – to even get that thing show up correctly, only to realize that G3D does nothing although it should.

There will be a Z3D profile for the game in the next vorpX version, but I can’t promise more. I won’t rule anything out, I just can’t promise more. Loading times are often so prohibitive long that it’s almost impossible to actually work on the title. Maybe some issue with their implementation of the Denuvo copy protection in conjunction with vorpX, that’s just a guess though. Sometimes loading times feel almost normal, but most of the time starting the game takes forever.

Prey (the new one) is in my Steam library and looks like a good candidate, but I haven’t looked into it yet. So I can’t say anything profound.

deathorb
    Participant

Yeah forget that sequel I will just play the first one, I hope that Prey is in Geometry 3D!!! Also please play Sanctum 2 – it’s excellent!

I heard Shadow warrior 2 works with Vorpx and also seems a good game…
    How about mass effect 3? It should be half polished by now with all the updates?!?
    It’s a shame that I played all the best games prior to getting my Pimax (half life, deus ex, portal, etc.)

Anyway I hope Fallout 4 will keep me going after Dishonored!

iankemp
    Participant

Right now i’m testing this list and good results with Skyrim(DX9) and Dishonored, Direct VR works really impressive. But Borderlands Pre-Sequel Rotation: Fail, FOV: Fail, Position: OK, any magic config tipps for me?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Rebooting your PC may be worth a shot. In Unreal Engine games the memory regions that have to be scanned are best described as moving targets in layman’s terms. Uncluttered memory after a reboot can help. Also disable real time scanning in your AV scanner if it’s not Windows Defender. Some more aggressive AV scanners can cause issues with vorpX’s Direct VR scanner.

Apropos clutter: posts like this one are best posted in the “Technical Support” sub-forum to avoid unnecessary forum clutter.

pieterlouis
    Participant

Hi Ralf. Is there an updated list of all the games with Direct VR Scan Support. I’m refering to the ALT+L Scan some games support.

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s not quite as important anymore for modern games as it used to be. Most games these days use low latency mouse input with almost as little latency as memory scanner head tracking. The memory scanner is still quite a bit better for other reasons, but the advantage isn’t as huge with most newer games.

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Bioshock
    Bioshock Remastered
    Bioshock 2
    Bioshock 2 Remastered
    Bioshock Infinite
    Black Mesa Source
    Borderlands
    Borderlands GOTY Enhanced
    Borderlands 2
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
    Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
    Conan Exiles
    Deadfall Adventures
    Conarium
    Contagion
    Crysis 3
    Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
    Dear Esther (Source)
    Dishonored
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim SE
    Fallout 3
    Fallout 4
    Fallout 76
    Far Cry 2
    Far Cry 3
    Far Cry 4
    Far Cry Blood Dragon
    Far Cry Primal
    Get Even
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2 Episode 1
    Half-Life 2 Episode 2
    The Hunter: Call of the Wild
    Kingdome Come Deliverance
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Metro 2033
    Metro 2033 Redux
    Metro Exodus
    Metro Last Light
    Metro Last Light Redux
    Mirror’s Edge
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Quake III
    Quake 4
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    The Stanley Parable
    Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force
    The Turing Test
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    Zeno Clash

pieterlouis
    Participant

Brilliant. Thanks Ralf

slydk1982
    Participant

I do recommend to try the Metro series :) It is amazing with vorpx…
    And Duke Nukem Forever, I hate to admit it, But its actually really fun in vr too :)

v2Vr
    Participant

deathorb i welcome you and agree with your points number 1,2,3.
    i currently am playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, GTA San Andreas, and most recently GTAIV all with the most awesome G3D and first person mod among others.
    I haven’t yet experienced Enderal for Skyrim using vorpX i should however but played SkyrimVR with nearly 300 mods at one point and it was incredible.
    I love first person in VR looking around closely at things without a body in the way, i really don’t see how game designers don’t get it? really who wants to be a monkey on a some characters back forced to endure a painfull piggy back ride. I want to take on the player, I want to be the player I want to become the player game designers what are you thinking?

v2Vr
    Participant

And yeah you seriously need to upgrade,the Pimax 8k im using is fantastic and the Pimax 5k many still prefer, but i love my 8k just like dellrifter22.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!