RTX 3080 Owners, what’s your Geometry 3d performance like?

Homepage Forums Technical Support RTX 3080 Owners, what’s your Geometry 3d performance like?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    analogboy
    Participant

Recently upgraded and am running a 3080 and a 9900k, which runs pancake games like butter. I was trying Abzu with Vorpx today and couldn’t really get great performance. Am I out of my mind to expect 90fps with Geo3d mode? I could get a locked 60 by running 120hz mode on the index and using the setting that halves the framerate, but it didn’t really feel all that smooth. Are my expectations too high?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Most (almost all) games can become CPU limited when their main render thread utilizes an entire core of your CPU. Games don’t scale endlessly with the amount of CPU cores, CPU wise the maximum performance usually hinges on a main thread. Since Geometry 3D more or less doubles the workload on the main render thread, it’s fairly easy to run into a CPU limited scenario where it doesn’t matter anymore how fast the GPU is.

One other thing: Unreal Engine games may be capped at max. 62 FPS fer default. That’s true for most UE3 engine games at least. UE4 games like Abzu usually aren’t, but it still makes sense to check whether an Unreal Engine game can reach more than 62fps at all.

analogboy
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Ralf. I’ve settled on running the index at 120hz and running the game at 60fps. Most games I can maintain this but even at a locked 60, things like camera motion seem a bit “juddery”. Any idea what is causing this? I made to turn off vsync both in game and the NVCP.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Shouldn’t really matter if you see stable 60/120 with the vorpX FPS counter, but turning off SteamVR’s motion smoothing is worth a shot. vorpX works best when its own frame interpolation is left alone.

analogboy
    Participant

So my biggest issue right now is framerate consistency. I am getting great fps 80% of the time with a 9900k and a RTX 3080. The issue is I’ll encounter stutter/judder for a few seconds even though the FPS counter still shows a steady framerate. Is it accurate? I was getting 80-90fps in Red Dead 2 but wanted a consistent framerate, so I changed the Index to 120hz and ran the game at 60 using Fluid Sync. Frame counter was locked at 60, yet I still encountered the same intermittent judder. What’s more confusing is that it seems to be random and doesn’t correspond with how demanding an area of the game is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!