Running in 2D – compatibility

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Running in 2D – compatibility

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Soundlufs
    Participant

Hello all!

Sorry if this is an old question, but I could not clarify this for myself:

If some games do not support any kind of 3D modes etc. will Cinema or Desktop viewer allow to run them as is, like Virtual Desktop style? If so, is there a considerable performance hit, or will it run comparable to monitor gaming? (I am on Win 10)

Thanks for any ideas.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX can run unsupported games in 2D either through its included desktop viewer app or (better) by hooking them directly if the game in question is based on DX9-DX11 or OpenGL.

The latter method has several advantages over using a desktop capture app and provides basically most of what vorpX can do minus stereo 3D. Most importantly that means support for fullscreen games and the lowest possible performance hit. Also mouse based head tracking and other input related functions (e.g. VR controller support) are still available this way.

Soundlufs
    Participant

Oh, thanks Ralf!

Do I understand correctly, that if I will not be able to hook certain game, then
    the desktop viewer can still run it, and provide competitive performance to other screen capture apps as Bigscreen and VD?

Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Exactly. The vorpX desktop viewer has similar performance and limitations as these.

You should rarely need the vorpX desktop viewer for games though. It can be a useful workaround if a game can’t be hooked for one or the other reason, but the majority of DX9-11/OpenGL games can be hooked directly with vorpX, providing the advantages mentioned above.

Soundlufs
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation, and for your work on the Vorpx of course! I have bought it recently, and like the ability to game on a virtual monitor, without disturbing anyone at night ;))

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!