Running VorpX cause jittering

Homepage Forums Technical Support Running VorpX cause jittering

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    deto15
    Participant

Greetings,

I just got VorpX recently and tried it out in Portal 2, but the problem I’m having is that screen jitters/stutters whenever I look around. What’s very confusing to me is that just VorpX being activated is causing this. I experience same stutter just by running Steam VR Home, even through as far as I can tell VorpX is not doing anything with it. I can clearly see through that when I turn off VorpX, jittering in Home goes away.

For little background, I’m using Pimax 5K+. I’ve set up all lowest values in Pitool (0.5 rendering and small FOV) while keeping parallel projection option since otherwise I’m seeing double in VorpX games.

My GPU is pretty strong (GTX 1080Ti) but my CPU not so much (i5 3750) but I can’t believe it would be CPU fault to have this problem outside of VorpX games and on lowest settings.

I’m not really sure where to look for cause and would appriciate some suggestions.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Parallel projection definitely has to be on with vorpX since ‘normal’ games don’t consider the canted displays of the headset.

In regard to Portal 2 please double check whether you selected a 4:3 resolution like suggested by vorpX, otherwise you will experience heavy FOV flickering.

Not sure how vorpX could affect your SteamVR Home, only option I can think of is that it might hook some Pimax helper app. You can check what programs vorpX hooks into by creating a trouble shooting data archive in the config app. Inside this archive is a logfile. If you find anything that vorpX is not supposed to hook, you can add it to the exclude list (also in the config app).

Would also be nice if you could send your troubleshoot data archive to support |at| vorpx com. I don’t have access to a Pimax headset yet, so all I can really do currently is checking logfiles.

deto15
    Participant

Posting update on additional observations.

• I’ve reinstalled Pitool but looks like it didn’t changed anything
    • Pitool comes with “Pimax VR Home” which is a VR space like Steam VR and is running by default when headset turn on. I always had it off because I feel it looks crappy, but went in to see how it performs when VorpX is running and jittering was still present. This thing runs outside of Steam VR so thought it was worth a shot.
    • Jittering that I can see in Steam VR stops right after I turn off Vorpx, don’t even have to restart Steam VR
    • I’ve turned off head tracking and head tracking roll in VorpX but problem was not affected
    • When I turn on mirror display in Steam VR, the mirror image I saw on desktop does not jitter. The problem is visible only in headset.
    deto15
    Participant

Ah, forgot 2 more things.

• I tried out VorpX option that is suppose to fix some software overlays (don’t remember how it was called) but that didn’t helped either.
    • In Steam VR I’ve chosen option to display performance graph in headset and compared what is was showing when Vorpx was running and when Vorpx was off, but didn’t saw any noticeable difference.
    deto15
    Participant

Thank you! I’ll try that out later today.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please check this post:

Official Pimax 5K/8K Recommendations

If that does not solve your issue, it has to be something unique to your setup. Neither could I replicate it, nor are there any other reports like yours so far.

vorpX certainly cannot affect any program that it is not hooked into.

Merkin
    Participant

Hi I’m having exactly the same issues.

Have run through the pimax setup post, prevented unnecessary software from being hooked, latest vorpx, drivers, pimax, etc and still no luck. Emailed Ralf but can’t figure it out.

Have you had any luck resolving this problem?

Thanks

deto15
    Participant

I actually did had small progress, forgot to write it down.

I figured I can get rid of jitter in non-VorpX software (like Steam VR) by turning off VorpX watcher. Easiest way to notice that is if you try out Vorpx desktop viewer and then from there while wearing the headset you right click on vorpx icon on right side of taskbar and choose “pause watcher” or something like. You should notice jitter to stop immediately, same with Steam VR.

However as I saw many times mentioned, watcher pause by default when hooked to game, so whatever I experience in Portal 2 must be a separate problem. I also have similar problem in Kingdom Come, but not really in Nier Automata. Guess it’s related to tracking. Maybe it’s because I don’t have lighthouses, maybe will work better when I get those.

Merkin
    Participant

Hey sorry for the slow reply – a software update fixed it but not sure if it was windows, vorpx ro steamvr. in any case it shouldn’;t be an issue now.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!