Screen overview feature

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Screen overview feature

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    golem09
    Participant

I’m not really sure if I read somewhere that vorpx will some day have it, or if I just made it all up, so I’m asking.
    What I seem to remember is a feature where you hold a button, and the whole screen basically turns into a 2D image in front of you. Then you can use your headmotions to look around the whole screen (like for instance in an inventory), and release the button to go back to the normal way of navigating the game with your headmotions.
    So, is that something I just thought was cool at some point, or did I actually read it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yes, something like that is there. And there is lot more that is focusing on making games actually playable on the Rift instead of just adding 3D.

That’s the intention behind vorpX, and that’s why it’s called ‘3D Driver and more’.

golem09
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew about the ingame HUD for button presses, but wasn’t sure if this feature wasn’t too good to be true ;)

JoeReMi
    Participant

Oh yes I knew there was a question I wanted to ask about this! I remember you saying that the middle mouse button was used for this – will it be possible to use an xbox 360 controller for playing in VorpX as well as mouse and keyboard? Are there enough buttons to include it’s various features? Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yes, using a X-Box 360 gamepad is possible. Even for games that don’t have gamepad support. A good chunk of time went into this, since I think playing with a gamepad helps to improve immersion.

How many vorpX features you want to map to the gamepad is your choice, so I would say it’s usually possible to find a good mapping for every game.

JoeReMi
    Participant

Sounds great, thanks!

MrGeddings
    Participant

cool so it includes a controller mapper too? now thats not a bad deal :-) cant wait to get this. some wrote on other forums oh well tridef is gonna be better they have a bigger team.

meh. i was not that impressed with their beta the head tracking didnt feel right and game support is around the same as perceptions which is free..and the view render windows seem to ripped from the perception drivers too its like oh great..so you got a big team you say? so why does it feel like a let down? they really should have tested it out more……vorpx i think will rock :-) from the videos i saw on youtube in the rift…and even if the view size is that “smallish” in the rift because the edges are softer and it doesnt just cut off like it does on like unity games/demos. it feels better. but i think you said you have an option to make the “circles” bigger or smaller too which will be nice :-)

cant wait! nice to know just a few weeks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

>> cool so it includes a controller mapper too?

Yep, very nice for playing titles without gamepad support. No need for extra software, and configurable directly in the game. Btw: you can also use the Rift tracker for simulating gamepad axis movement, which can give you headtracking in games without mouselook (usually driving games and such). Not 100% perfect in some cases, depending on the way a game handles gamepad input, but clearly better than nothing.

>> but I think you said you have an option to make the “circles” bigger or
    >> smaller too which will be nice.

That is the case. You can scale the circles all the way up until they touch the screen edges. The best setting though is the smallest size that does not let you see the circles in the Rift. So just don’t crank it up, thinking bigger is always better. ;) The optimal size is very dependent on individual eyesight.

These are just two of the many smaller and bigger things that make vorpX more than just a 3d-driver. It really is specifically geared towards VR in many things.

golem09
    Participant

Can. Not. Wait.
    Got semester break until early october, I still hope I can put some time into vorpx gaming before that ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!