Settings not saved, zoomed-in issue and game compatibility

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Settings not saved, zoomed-in issue and game compatibility

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m a htc vive user here and facing issues with vorpX.

1) Settings not saved: I don’t know if this only happens to me or not. But i noticed my in-game vorpX menu is not saved at all. For example, i change to virtual camera mode and next time i boot up my game again. it revert back to non-virtual camera mode.
    Not only this, i face issues in game setting optimizer as well. I can’t seem to change the fov as well (default:120) and will keep reverting back to default as well even through i click optimize settings and apply & close, no effect.

2) Zoomed in issue: This is common to newbies, i fully aware i have to set the fov higher or something or i will face this issue. But however it doesn’t help at all. I set fov to 120 or maybe higher in game setting optimizer and nothing have changed, not only that it will keep reverting to default 120 as i mentioned in point 1. All games such as battlefield 4 and outlast are affected.

3) Game compatibility issue: i don’t know if i the only one who face this. But i noticed games that ran higher than dx9 will not work and won’t boot up with vorpX. They will display on your monitor instead of your HMD. For example, i change dx11 to dx9 settings in far cry 3 and surprisingly it booted up with vorpx. But for games such as team fortress 2 it doesn’t even start at all.

Please help, i have spent around 2 days or so but couldn’t get around this problem. I a newbie and have much to learn. The only solution so far i thought of is to reinstall but i fear that my key might not work again that have sent to me via email.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can circumvent the settings not saving bug by performing any action theat writes the settings database to disk in the config app before closing vorpX. Just creating a copy of a random exisiting profile and deleting it again afterwards will suffice. The underlying issue will be fixed with the next vorpX version.

The Game Optimizer changes FOV and other related settings directly in game .ini files or the Windows registry. A handful of games may overwrite those changes again if you change game options ingame afterwards, so ideally avoid adjusting video options in such cases after applying the Optimizer settings. For games without the option to adjust the FOV with the Optimizer you either have to use the workarounds vorpX provides, edit ini files manually or use an external tool. Flawless Widescreen hacks into the memory of games that don’t allow to adjust to FOV officially.

Unsupported games: Try to create a new profile based on an existing one in the config app (Local Profiles page) for games that vorpX does not support. For Team Fortress 2 a Source engine profile like Left For Dead 2 or Portal 2 might do the trick. There is no guarantee that profiles created this way will work, but that’s always worth a try.

pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi! thanks for the reply.

1)
    Not sure what you meant by “performing any action that writes settings datebase to disk in the config app before closing vorpX.” Are you saying i have to edit the ini file or something directly in the folder? Is it located in the settings folder?

“Just creating a copy of a random exisiting profile and deleting it again afterwards will suffice.”
    Hmm, i never encounter this before. The profile are you referring to local or cloud profile?.

I glad the issue will be fixed in the next version. Hopefully, because i facing issue such as in-game vorpx and game setting optimizer not saving at all. Is there anyway i can edit the file directly to prevent it from overwriting it?

2)
    “A handful of games may overwrite those changes again if you change game options ingame afterwards, so ideally avoid adjusting video options in such cases after applying the Optimizer settings.”

For battlefield 4, even through i change FOV in-game. It doesn’t work at all. It still zoomed-in and unplayable. Back to the point 1 i just made, i couldn’t adjust the fov higher or lower in game settings optimizer due to the setting-reset issue.

“For games without the option to adjust the FOV with the Optimizer you either have to use the workarounds vorpX provides, edit ini files manually or use an external tool.”

Okay thanks, some games such as outlast won’t allow you to adjust fov. So i guess i have to tweak it by ini file. The only problem is the game setting optimizer, the fov doesn’t work, maybe it being overwritten or something.

3) “Unsupported games: Try to create a new profile based on an existing one in the config app (Local Profiles page) for games that vorpX does not support.”

I notice games boot up with vorpX if they run in dx9. Games with dx10, dx11 will not work at all and instead will display on your monitor instead of the hmd. Need some htc vive users to confirm it?

Thanks for the reply.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can create copies of existing profiles on the local profiles page. To do that select an existing profile and then click the button labeled “Create a new profile based on this one”. Doing that with a random profile before you exit vorpX will suffice to save all settings to disk that you made before. You can safely remove the newly created copy again afterwards.

For Outlast the Game Optimizer should be able to handle FOV, Battlefield 4 only takes the ini setting into account in multiplayer. Single player FOV can not be changed unfortunately, Flawless Widescreen might help with single player.

pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi again Ralf! Thanks for your support!

Okay thanks, i will try the above profile solution you have mentioned.

But for your second point, unfortunately game optimizer is unable to work for me. Am i supposed to set higher than 120 FOV? click optimize settings and apply and close? Because nothing seems to change at all. I still have that zoomed-in issue. I will try again and get back to you. Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sometimes the optimizer may fail if it can’t find the directory where the ini is stored for a game or the file itself is write protected. Some mod managers for Bethesda games for example can cause that. Another potential cause of failure may be GOTY editions of games, which sometimes use different storage locations that the Optimizer does not know.

For Outlast the ini is expected to be [Documents]\My Games\Outlast\OLGame\Config\OLGame.ini. If it is stored in a different location in your case, the Optimizer will fail.

The FOV related ini-values the optimizer changes for this game are: DefaultFOV, RunningFOV, CamcorderNVMaxFOV, CamcorderMaxFOV.

If the optimizer fails for some reason, set the first two to 130 manually and the camcorder ones to 110.

pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi again,

Yes, i can confirm OLGame.ini is in my folder file you have mentioned. I even changed some of the fov settings, open up ini file and it work fine and fov values has changed. But again, the game fov seems unaffected by vorpX. And i still have that zoomed-in look when i play in full vr. Virtual cinema works great. Maybe i need to close down some of the overlay?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Setting the FOV in the ini files of the game like done by the optimizer has nothing to do with vorpX running or not. It also works when you start the game without vorpX. Please check whether that is the case.

If editing the .ini does not change the FOV (with or without vorpX running), something is severely wrong. Maybe try reinstalling the game then. Not sure what to recommend else, sorry.

pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi again, Thanks ralf.

I tried outlast without htc vive. Everything seems normal, fov all working. 190 fov turns your screen upside down. 130 fov seems to be the sweet spot.

The only problem is that i notice all games that i run seems to be unaffected by fov changes.

Need any help from htc vive users who use vorpX. :( stuck at this problem or issue for 3 days on.

edit: the only thing that work for me is the virtual cinema mode. But for full VR, it’s extreme zoomed in

Ralf
    Keymaster

If the FOV is changed without vorpX running, it also is changed with vorpX running. This does not depend on the headset you use. The FOV is changed completely independent from vorpX or your headset if you change it in the ini of the game either with the optimizer or manually. The game ALWAYS uses this changed FOV regardless whether you play it on your monitor or your headset.

vorpX takes the image as rendered by the game and then displays it on your headset. So if you see a changed FOV without vorpX running, you also get the exact same changed FOV with vorpX running. There is no chance that it works any other way on your headset.

If you think the values set by the optimizer (or manually by yourself in the in ini) are still too low, you can use a higher FOV at any time, of course. The suggested value (120° horizontcally) is normally the right one for a natural looking image though.

pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

Still no luck. After re-installing or so, setting to direct-mode cause more problem for me (red screen) so i turned it off for htc vive.

So let me get this straight. Normally everything should work if you download vorpX, afterwards go to game setting optimizer, set fov 120-130 , click optimize settings and save & exit? and just boot up the game? and no more zoomed-in issue? It’s weird, this only happening to me. Do i need to setup cloud profile or something?
    FOV seems to work for me without the hmd thought. Sad, no more Full VR experience for me then :(

Is there any setup guide or videos by chance? A newbie like me need lots of guidance to get this working. Maybe i miss out any important steps.

Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No, you don’t need a cloud profile. Changing the FOV via an .ini tweak is COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT from vorpX. As said above, the optimizer *may* fail. That’s why I explained in detail the settings you have to set manually a few posts above. And if I understood you correctly you changed them and saw an effect when you started the game on your monitor.

If you see a larger FOV on your monitor after changing the ini file, you also get that larger FOV in your headset with vorpX. 100%, always, no exceptions. vorpX itself does not alter the FOV beyond what you set in the ini. If the ini edit has an effect on your monitor, you also see that effect in your Vive.

I really don’t know how to explain it different, sorry.

Also do never use extended mode with vorpX. Not sure how you even got it to display anything this way. vorpX only works in direct mode!

pamgpamg
    Participant

Hi ralf,

Just want to let you know i finally got it working with outlast. I don’t know how, but i read up some guide: disable steam overlay and desktop home threate and surprisingly it works. Values around 120 to 150 is comfortable for me. 160 or more is unbearable and screen starts to flip 180 deg upwards. Now the only problem is the game menu zoomed-in, is it intentional?

Gameplay inside outlast seems fine for me. Maybe full vr works for me afterall, just have to do some tweaking or stuff.

Game setting optimizer works by the way. But not sure for other games such as battlefield 4. This is the only game i got it first working with vorpX.

I quite confused with the extended mode and direct mode you talking about. Not sure what mode i am. But pretty sure i am in extended mode. Just got htc vive headset sorry newbie here :).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!