Settings path not found

Homepage Forums Technical Support Settings path not found

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KahranRamsus
    Participant

A number of steam and non steam games are throwing this error when I try to use the optimize settings feature in the configuration window. What is weird is one of the games with this problem gave me a search window so I could browse to the correct settings file location. I closed this window and tried to optimize again, and it did not pop up the search window this time and I can’t get it to again.

Can someone please tell me how to correct faulty settings paths? All I need is to get that search window to pop up again.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That search window only shows for games where the .ini files are stored in the game directory (mostly rather old games). In other cases it’s not as trivial as one would think to provide such a search window as settings may be stored in more than one place or the registry. But I’ll check where that might be possible.

Just in case: please make sure to not run the vorpX config app as admin, that may make it look in wrong places if you have different users on your PC. It’s also important to run games once before applying the Optimizer. Otherwise the settings files it is looking for may not exist.

KahranRamsus
    Participant

Got it, thanks again Ralf! Loving VorpX support on my Vive!

Mace
    Participant

I’m having this issue for every Steam game. Cannot find path.
    Running normal or admin doesn’t make a difference.
    Steam is installed in a custom location (could be part of the issue?)
    All Steam registry keys are available (I reinstalled Steam too to be sure) and the games have been run.

Is there a way to manually point to the config files?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please make sure that you run games at least once without vorpX with the same user account and access rights (admin or not) that you are running vorpX with, otherwise the config files may not exist.

On a standard Windows install user/rights are not something you have to care about, but in case you use an extra admin user, you have to make sure that the games and vorpX are both run with the same user account and access rights for the Optimizer to work correctly.

The majority of game config files are stored in your user’s documents folder respectively folders below that. vorpX uses a standard Windows function to locate this directory and goes from there. Unless you installed games with a different user account or there is some very arcane issue with said function returning a wrong path on your system, it should be able to locate the correct directories – provided you run the vorpX config app with the the same user account and access rights that you run your games with.

Same for Steam. Steam location is read from the Windows registry. Unless it’s wrong there for some reason (or the reg key doesn’t exist), it doesn’t matter where you have Steam installed.

Apart from that a list of games that has this issue for you would help. Since there are many different kinds of config storage methods that the Game Optimizer can handle this might help to understand what happens.

Mace
    Participant

Have ran all the games beforehand under this account.
    I have most of my home folders redirected to a network share. (unc path)
    Could that be an issue?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That might (and probably is) very well be the problem.

iormangund
    Participant

Hi, I also have this problem with most of my games, setting path not found. I think the only ones it hasn’t been working on are ones that store the configs in the steam folder. (ie fallout 4, dead space 3, bioshock infinite work fine and I know they use the docs folder, while Portal 2, Metro Last light redux, serious sam, talos principle, antichamber did not work.)

All software runs under the same account and level (ie user only, no admin use) although I did try running the config as admin to be sure, no folders redirects to network shares (home folders all default locations), tested games have all been run at least once.

Registry entries correctly point to steam folder:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam]
    “SteamExe”=”d:/steam/steam.exe”
    “SteamPath”=”d:/steam”

Running Windows 10, fairly clean and new install, rest of system is on C drive, only steam is on D drive, no issues with any other software that accesses configs or games folders without manual input.

If this is not fixable, couldn’t a simple option to export optimized game settings be added so you can replace the configs yourself?

Edit: Btw I am running the latest Beta version, with the Vive and so far after a lot of tweaking it has been working fine.

Mike747-400
    Participant

How exactly did you fix this issue? Portal 2 simply refuses to work, I have reinstalled VorpX, Portal 2, tried running as both Admin and not Admin, yet it is still unable to find the settings file.

Thank you :)

iormangund
    Participant

How exactly did you fix this issue? Portal 2 simply refuses to work, I have reinstalled VorpX, Portal 2, tried running as both Admin and not Admin, yet it is still unable to find the settings file.

Thank you

I would like to know that too, still doesn’t work for any steam games. Was hoping my previous post was detailed enough to get a response from Ralf.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This issue might be related to having more than one Steam account.

The Portal 2 config should be located in [SteamPath]\userdata\[UserId]\620\remote\cfg\config.cfg.

[UserId] consists of random looking numbers. If there is more than one such folder, the optimizer only uses the first one to get to the config. So that might be something worth to check.

Mike747-400
    Participant

This issue might be related to having more than one Steam account.

The Portal 2 config should be located in [SteamPath]\userdata\[UserId]\620\remote\cfg\config.cfg.

[UserId] consists of random looking numbers. If there is more than one such folder, the optimizer only uses the first one to get to the config. So that might be something worth to check.

Deleting the folders that weren’t my own profile did it, thanks :D

iormangund
    Participant

Thank you, that was spot on. Didn’t even consider the fact I had a second steam account would be a problem. Awesomesauce :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!