Shenmue D3D Profile

Homepage Forums Technical Support Shenmue D3D Profile

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    zahncisten
    Participant

I’m currently working on a profile for Shenmue 1&2. At first, a little intimidating because they used their own engine for the game. But then I realized that the Dreamcast (which both games were made for) ran Windows CE, I looked up the Direct 3D renderer for Windows CE. Its D3D 6.0, which, according to wikipedia:

(released in August, 1998) introduced numerous features to cover contemporary hardware (such as multitexture[14] and stencil buffers) as well as optimized geometry pipelines for x87, SSE and 3DNow! and optional texture management to simplify programming.

Awesome! Right? Geometry pipelines, which you can totally understand in games for the Dreamcast. Now, I tried to think what game from that period came out on the PC that used Direct 3d 6.0, and I thought Deus Ex should work. It does! Yay, but only Z-Normal. I stumbled around a little looking for a game from that period that has a profile for G3D, but I didn’t see one. Anyone have a suggestion for a game that uses D3D 6 and a profile for G3D? I’m uploading the Shenmue profile and we’ll update it if we get the G3D working. Ideas anyone?

zahncisten
    Participant
    zahncisten
    Participant

Alright, so, the closest I got was dgVoodoo2. But I ended up with a headless Ryo, lol. I flipped through the shaders and the profile doesn’t differentiate any of the actual elements. It did Z-Normal, but so did a few other profiles. The one in the cloud right now is the best possible. I think using the Old Unreal Engine in G3D would work, but it would require refiguring the 3D just for Shenmue 1/2 (both should be the same).

RJK_
    Participant

Ive tried quite some DX6 games with the DGVoodoo2 profile but no luck so far. The earliest game ive got to word was DUNE (IIRC) which is DX7. If your lucky the game has an opengl mode which you could try with a quake or descent 2 profile.

zahncisten
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, sadly not, its ported from the Dreamcast (ran windows CE), and uses some kind of proprietary engine. Incidentally, I did try the Descent profile, and no grab at all. I did get DGVoodoo2 to hook into it, but it just didn’t interact with the actual 3D elements =/.

zahncisten
    Participant

I tried Quake both varieties of Quake, just to be sure, but no luck.

legaiaflame2
    Participant

Got some slight 3D with the Crusaders of Might and Magic Z3D profile using Z normal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!