Since the new update Skyrim becomes unplayable

Homepage Forums Technical Support Since the new update Skyrim becomes unplayable

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    3DPO
    Participant

Hello,
    right the moment after the new update 18.3.0 installed on my computer Skyrim crashed. This happens everytime after max. 3 minutes when I load a savegame. It doesn’t matter which…
    I changed nothing on my system between the time when Skyrim worked (with the vorpX version before) and after the patch. I even installed the update a few more times and checked and try all the options in vorpX a thousand times. Before this I’ve played Skyrim for months! without problems. The reason must be the new vorpX-version.
    It would be a very great idea to make earlier versions of vorpX available to download for exactly this kind of reasons!

Some info on my system and Skyrim:

I have a GTX 1070 (8G VRAM), i7 3720, 8 GB RAM, SSD-HDD, I’m playing on Win 7 x64, using a Pimax 4k (btw. best 3D goggle I’ve tried)
    Skyrim is Legendary version, a lot of mods but a very clean install, I also using ENB injector (never causes problems before), SKSE loader…

What strange thing I recognize when playing was that for some reason (only after update of vorpX) it can’t really attach to Skyrim. I have the normal g3d view and I can also enter vorpX menu and change everything but in the background appears the message that it can’t attach to skyrim and asks me to close the program…
    Why this occurs now with the update?

Please help me, I’m addicted to vorpX ×DD

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll check that, there have been very little changes to the DX9 renderpath between 18.2.5 and 18.3.0, but who knows.

Just in case the usual AV software hint: if you use anything else than Windows Defender, try to uninstall it completely (some can’t really be disabled otherwise) and see whether the problem persists. Windows Defender will kick in instead. Especially with games that have DirectVR scanner support, some more aggressive AV programs can cause severe issues. Such issues may appear seemingly out of nowhere when they encounter a new vorpX version they don’t know.

Also check the memory usage of tesv.exe in the task manager. 32bit programs like the original DX9 Skyrim can only address 2 (some 3) GB of memory. Since vorpX requires additional memory, heavily modded Skyrim installs might get pushed over that limit. The same applies to GPU memory, even more actually. So if you use huge texture replacement packs, try smaller versions if available or remove them (at least for testing purposes).

3DPO
    Participant

Thanks!
    I really have no AV-Software installed. I only have Windows Firewall (as security program). But I have also disabled it and played Skyrim. But it still ctd. I can accelerate the crash a bit if I for example cast a lot of spells in short time. So maybe it has something to do with going out of ressources… But the crash comes anyway after a few min.

3DPO
    Participant

Yes I have gone through this huge problematic with Skyrim + mods + memory limit (and vorpX too) for about months :)
    The memory limit of 32-bit version of Skyrim was (and still is) the main problem while playing Skyrim. I have fixed most of the related crashes with using ENBoost (without graphic enhancement).
    After this and a lot of other fixes I’ve managed to get it run very stable and have played since then for hundred of hours. Since then vorpX updated a few times. But never any problems, until now…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please still try without mods/texture packs before considering this a vorpX issue. Especially if you know you are close to any potential limits, that is the very first thing you should do whether it worked before or not.

I’ll also do a few longtime tests to see whether I can find anything.

3DPO
    Participant

Thanks a lot!

Yes that is one way to play Skyrim vanilla. Please don’t get me wrong but I don’t want to mess around with my Skyrim configuration any more. It takes me weeks if not months to get everything to work. And it runs almost perfect since over half a year. If I now change anything from my current settings it could be that I can’t play my savegames never again. Maybe there will be a solution soon. Another way I can try if it’s not vorpX-related is that you send me a old vorpX version so I can test if it runs like before :)
    If not then really strange things happen. Cause the crashes occurs no matter which savegames I load. And I didn’t change a bit on my system (software) since this happens. Other games still running perfect with vorpX. For example, I play Gas Guzzlers Extreme with the G3d profile at the moment. There are no problems even with Ultra settings!

Ralf
    Keymaster

One more reason to assume that it’s not a vorpX issue. As suggested above please do a few testruns without mods. Since you apparently intentionally are close to the game’s resource limits you should consider that the most likely cause of your issue.

vorpX requires a substantial amount of extra CPU/GPU memory on its own, so please first check whether you can resolve your issue by using a more sensible amount of mods before assuming anything else.

alex626
    Participant

The same problem. It is played many hours without vorpX. It is possible that this is not about him. Interesting, did you solve the problem in any way?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Same reply as always when it comes to heavily modded games, regardless whether it worked earlier or not: please do a few testruns without mods. Only if you also encounter your issue without mods installed consider it a potential vorpX issue.

Most important kinds of mods to remove first are huge texture packs and any graphics enhancing mods that might also hook into the rendering pipeline.

3DPO
    Participant

I want to give an update. I made a complete backup of all Skyrim related folders and programs (NMM, Loot, Wrye Bash…) and make a clean install of Windows 10.
    You won’t believe it but now I can play Skyrim like it was before (with a little tuning of Windows 10, cause it’s heavily overloaded with background programs, I think it even runs better like before on windows 7). It seems like the time of windows 7 comes to an end maybe cause of such errors…
    The only guess what causes it is for me (sorry Ralf for another assumption :D ) maybe a DirectX related problem. But I’m not really into this to know…
    I hope I could help some people which have a similar problem.

alex626
    Participant

3dpo.thanks for the reply.I use wmr and win10.you may be right that it directX.I’ll be experimenting. for the game using MO.I like him better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!