Skyrim artifact

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Skyrim artifact

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Yearlink
    Participant

First post, not sure if i should be posting here or technical support, anyway.

im loving VorpX, but in skyrim im getting an awful effect or something that is solely ruining the experience. cant capture screenshots, or atleast, dont know how, so i recreated my problem, heres pic album

https://imgur.com/a/7GnaX

as you can see, this strange black tracer/shadow trails everything, not when its moving, but when i move my HMD. it doesnt seem to always happen, and from what i can deduce one eye has the effect horizontally, but not vertically, and the other vice versa. it almost appears as if theres some layer ontop of my view, that cant quite keep up with the rest of the world.

Specs for reference, incase its important or something
    GPU- r9 390 8gb
    CPU- i5 7600k
    RAM- 16Gb
    HMD- Oculus CV1

afaik im not using any ENB or shadow/graphical mods, just quests, better maps, weather stuff etc
    Graphics somewhere floating in the high/max range, apart from this issue, it runs fine.
    Any help is much appreciated, thanks :)

steph12
    Participant

i’m not sure if using any mods with skyrim vorpx vr is a good idea.

i played skyrim vanilla with vorpx and i didnt have any issue.

did you try to run it without any mods ?

daveusf
    Participant

I had the same problem. I never figured out what caused it, but re-installing Skyrim fixed it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In high contrast situations you sometimes see something like that as an display artifact in any VR game, especially when reprojection (“Timewarp”) is used.

In your image the effect looks stronger than I would expect it though. Provided the image wasn’t retouched, the only option that comes to mind is that maybe time warping doesn’t work like it should, which would leed to motion blur/double images similar to what your image shows whenever you rotate your head.

In case you changed any settings on the Direct VR page of the vorpX menu, please check whether “Async. Rendering” is enabled. Having that on (which is the default) not only helps massively with performance, it also ensures that Timewarp is working.

Also make sure that the game is running at 45fps min. Lower frame rates can’t be compensated that well with time warping.

Yearlink
    Participant

In high contrast situations you sometimes see something like that as an display artifact in any VR game, especially when reprojection (“Timewarp”) is used.

In your image the effect looks stronger than I would expect it though. Provided the image wasn’t retouched, the only option that comes to mind is that maybe time warping doesn’t work like it should, which would leed to motion blur/double images similar to what your image shows whenever you rotate your head.

In case you changed any settings on the Direct VR page of the vorpX menu, please check whether “Async. Rendering” is enabled. Having that on (which is the default) not only helps massively with performance, it also ensures that Timewarp is working.

Also make sure that the game is running at 45fps min. Lower frame rates can’t be compensated that well with time warping.

i’ve seen this timewarp effect during other applications, but i dont think it is the issue here. the image is as close to what i see as i could recreate, ingame it can actually be more intense at points than what the picture shows.
    ill check async rendering, think i messed around with it at some point, Thanks :)

i’m not sure if using any mods with skyrim vorpx vr is a good idea.

i played skyrim vanilla with vorpx and i didnt have any issue.

did you try to run it without any mods ?

yea, with or without mods, same issue :P thanks anyway

I had the same problem. I never figured out what caused it, but re-installing Skyrim fixed it.

funny thing, i had just reinstalled skyrim, but i have a steam folder on both my HDD, perhaps it found already messed up files in the reinstallation. at this point, im wiping skyrim from everything, complete fresh install. hopefully the issue is fixed, as it was with your case. thanks :)

Karlor
    Participant

I have gotten strange borders like that before and it was from weather mods mixed with lighting mods. Mods that add in volumetric fog or ambient mist or maybe even lighting mods can create weird visuals. It has something to do with the combination of these types of mods at least it did on my system. Maybe its the same thing going on with your game. The mod that really seemed to do this was a mod that added 3D clouds to Skyrim. Some people have been able to tweek their ENB to minimize these effects but I never tried. I just lived with it because the small border around certain objects was worth the sweet 3D clouds. As much of pain in the but that it is maybe tr a fresh install, making sure to remove ALL files in install folders as mods are NOT removed when just uninstalling Skyrim, they stay in the folders.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!