Skyrim + Direct VR = Ermahgerd!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Skyrim + Direct VR = Ermahgerd!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ok301
    Participant

I got a new machine last fall and while many games got a nice VR boost in FPS skyrim (original) was still a little choppier than expected. After almost 2 months away from my current Skyrim game i boot up Vorpx, notice the update, and start running Skyrim. Immediately I noticed the much clearer UI rendering.
    Not knowing the implications of Direct VR I started the scan and after it finished I was dumbfounded at the buttery smooth head tracking…. Thank you Ralf!

Michelangel0
    Participant

Skyrim SE???
    Not sure if you set it already but if not try it with 1920×1440 resolution set manually in Skyrim.prefs and set the Fov 110 110 in game using the console.

This was the main reason to buy it and works really good.

I have adjusted the size of everything a little :P

Also, do you see any performance loss while playing more than…let´s say an hour?

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Skyrim SE???
    Not sure if you set it already but if not try it with 1920×1440 resolution set manually in Skyrim.prefs and set the Fov 110 110 in game using the console.

This was the main reason to buy it and works really good.

I have adjusted the size of everything a little 😛

Also, do you see any performance loss while playing more than…let´s say an hour?

I’m also impressed with the head tracking with the new DirectVR implementation. My only problem is that the FOV scan always fails, and when I try to set a FOV of 110 in the console the view initially changes, but when I close the console the FOV goes back to what it was before…

So far it’s a huge improvement though, this, FAllout 4 and Bioshock Infinite are a joy to play in VR now. Just not sure why I can’t get the original Bioshock Remastered edition working…

Michelangel0
    Participant

I´m always playing correctly in DirectVR, including FoV succesfully completing.

but I have to recognize that sometimes it is harder to get the DirectVR passing all the tests…
    Yesterday it was failing many times, so I entered a dungeon and run it there and it worked at first try; go figure.

ok301
    Participant

I play Skyrim original – (not SE) – as it looks nearly identical to SE in vorpx.
    No FOV failures for me during Direct X VR scan.
    The original Skyrim vorpx also has a rarely mentioned feature called internal resolution which allows to keep the 4:3 ratio but bump up the resolution. I use a bit of it (1.10 or so) but if i put it too high it makes it look too much like a game and kills the magic a bit :)

StreetPreacher
    Participant

I just wanted to post a THANK YOU! Whatevr this DirectVR voodoo is doing, I like it! Skyrim is nearly perfect in VR now. I spent a long time yesterday just wandering around aimlessly, getting ambushed and having unexpected encounters, and marvelling that I finally feel like I’m present in the game world!

The only thing missing is decoupled weapon movement which I assume isn’t possible. I just hope Bethesda is paying attention and gives us proper locomotion in their version of VR games, because this along with free weapon handling (like in the Doom 3 VR mod) would make this just unbelievable!

Oh, and I need a faster video card… where are those 1080Ti cards anyway?!?!?!

chisel316
    Participant

For those of you having problems with the Direct VR scan either failing, or in my case passing but still not tracking correctly, try this: Use the Alternate Start mod to create a new game and save immediately. Then load that game each time to do your Direct VR scan and then load your latest save game. It always works perfectly on the first try when I perform the Direct VR scan in a clean save first.

Peace \/
    chisel316

prinyo
    Participant

I’m using Alternate Start but I still have problems from time to time.

Sometimes the scan will work fine many times one after another. Other days it will not work at all.

Without mods it will always work.

Using first person mods creates the problem for me. But for now I’m unable to find any pattern and any explanation to what can cause the scan to consistently not work for several days and then work consistently for several days. Obviously there are factors in play that I don’t understand, so I decided to wait for the next update. As I understand there will be optimizations to the scanning in it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Using camera changing mods may make DirectVR fail at any time, since they may store their rotation/fov/position values in a way that DirectVR cannot find. If you know that a specific camera mod causes an issue (even if just occasionally), please remove that mod.

Having two things (DirectVR and a mod) modifying the camera at the same time may work in some cases, but it may just as well fail. Removing the conflicting mod is the right course of action in such a case.

prinyo
    Participant

Well, the tinkering is half of the fun :-) And modding is half of the fun playing Skyrim.

I think it is helpful that people share what works for them and what not. This will help in identifying mods that do work. For example if I’m interested in a mod but I see that everybody has problems with it I’m not going to waste my time trying to make it work. And if I see somebody saying they run a mod with no problems then I know that it is worth trying it.

From the point of view of the player who mods their Skyrim, VorpX is a mod. We simply need to find out how this quite complicated new mod works with other mods, what conflicts with it, or what compliments the added functionality, what compatibility patches are needed – everything that happens when a new complex mod is created.
    All this will slowly happen with time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!