Skyrim Halo around meshes Z-Normal

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Skyrim Halo around meshes Z-Normal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Godlock
    Participant

Hey, I’ve been playing Skyrim in Z-normal mode because I can make it look alot better with great performance. However, there’s one issue. Pretty much all meshes are surrounded by a sort of distortion halo that’s thin and surrounds the edges of the meshes. This affects actors and scenery like mountains. Is this a known problem? Is there a solution? I use ENB if that helps (Specifically Realvision with all options turned on). Even when I disable the ENB effects, though, the problem persists.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s an inherent artifact of the Z-Buffer method. While applying the 3D effect parts of the scene become visible that aren’t really there. These empty spaces are then filled with surrounding pixels resulting in the artifact you noticed.

Godlock
    Participant

So I assume that means I can’t fix it without using geometry?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Exactly. Z3D will always show these artifacts to a degree. It’s a lot faster because in contrast to G3D it doesn’t have to render evrything twice, the trade-off for that is less natural 3D.

Godlock
    Participant

So, I’m really hating the Halo’s around the meshes and think I want to try Geometry. I set most of my settings back to vanilla and am only using 2 graphics mods, Purity and the LITE version of the HD 2k textures mod. I also turned off shadows and set the foliage size to 100 (means barely any foliage at all). It looks horrid and I’m getting a super low framerate in some areas and a sub 90 in most places. I have a 980Ti that I put into OC mode as well as an i7 4790k at 4.4 GHz. Is this performance on this card normal? It runs Crysis3 in Geometry far better than Skyrim at near bare minimum settings.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Skyrim is quite resource hungry. Also keep in mind that in Geometry 3D mode everything has to be rendered twice which reduces the frame rate by at least 50%, plus there is some additional overhead which can lead to an extra 10%-15% reduction.

To play Skyrim in Geometry 3D with 45fps on the outside map you need to reduce detail settings in the Skyrim launcher. Try the medium preset and also remove any HD textures. vorpX (especially in G3D mode) requires more GPU memory than playing the game on your monitor. With extra texture packs there is a certain risk that the required memory is larger than the actual GPU memory on your graphics card, which would make things really slow.

In general you need to find the right balance between performance and quality for your PC (and taste). The main options you have for that are: game resolution, graphics detail and vorpX 3D mode.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!