Skyrim Positional Tracking doesn't work in Vorpx 0.9

Homepage Forums Technical Support Skyrim Positional Tracking doesn't work in Vorpx 0.9

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bugsquish
    Participant

I have been playing Skyrim for some time using Vorpx, it worked great. But since the latest update the positional tracking doesn’t work. The Alt+Tab dialogue still appears on load but there is no positional tracking at all, moving the position of the headset has no affect. Directional tracking still works. I’ve tried Oculus runtime 0.7 and 0.8

Can you please fix, or advise how to fix? Otherwise how can I go back to a previous version of Vorpx?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Should work just as it always did. Skyrim is still one of the top 10 test titles that are checked before every new version is made public (in case of the last version against runtime 0.8). Only thing I can think of is that maybe you may have disabled it by accident. You can check that on the head tracking page of the ingame menu.

If pos tracking is enabled in the menu, there may be an issue with your camera. Rebooting and/or restarting the Oculus service might be worth a try in that case.

bugsquish
    Participant

It should work, but it doesn’t. The Vorpx in game menu shows both Head Tracking and Positional Tracking set to ON position. I have tried restarting service, rebooting and various Oculus Runtime versions. Positional tracking works fine in Oculus demos but in Skyrim position stays static. It’s so annoying because it worked in previous Vorpx versions. What else can I do? Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only other thing I can think of that maybe you switched to Z-Buffer 3D from the default Geometry 3D. Positional tracking always is G3D only.

If that also is not your issue: maybe uninstalling and then reinstalling vorpX can help. This resets all settings to their default values, maybe something is messed up in a really odd way.

Nothing else I can suggest, sorry. Considering it’s Skyrim I’d look into this if there was even a remote possibility that there is a genral issue, but in this case I can assure you 100% that there is none. It’s not only not reproducible here, there also have been zero other reports of this issue, which always is a good indicator whether something may be a bug or not, especially for popular games like Skyrim.

bugsquish
    Participant

Argh, banging my head on the wall now :)

First off, reinstalling Vorpx does seem to have fixed the positional tracking – thanks for that… However now there is a new problem… Something weird has happened to the key bindings. Edge peek no longer works, now it brings up some kind of virtual keypad. And worst of all I can no longer access the Vorpx in game menu. “Del” key does nothing at all. I have tried reassigning to another key in config but that also does nothing! Please help, I’m at my wits end now.

bugsquish
    Participant

Not sure what I did but it’s working now. I think it might have been something to do with the controller. I pressed the “back” button and the key bindings went back to normal. Thanks for your help!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Glad this is solved.

bugsquish
    Participant

Dammit. it worked for a short while when I reinstalled Vorpx, but stopped working again. Now no amount of reinstalling is fixing it!

When it did work briefly I realised I had been playing without stereoscopy and I hadn’t noticed. Suddenly I could adjust 3D strength and see a difference. Now it’s busted again it seems that Geometry mode is not working, since I can see now it’s not 3D and cannot see any effect from adjusting 3D strength. Also positional tracking is not working.

Do you have any idea why Vorpx would state it is running in Geometry mode when it isn’t?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Since Skyrim is still a very popular game, I’m happy to look into this if something like this gets reported by anyone else.

Until then I can just say what I said above, sorry. Skyrim is very regularly checked here and also one of the most heavily used games for years. Despite being not reproducible here, there are also absolutely no reports of this issue thus far, which doesn’t make it impossible, but definitely highly unlikely that your problem is caused by vorpX.

bugsquish
    Participant

I don’t expect you to start debugging this issue, just please give me access to the previous version or Vorpx. I have been running Vorpx 0.8.1 on my laptop and it works great, the only issue is performance. So, I have just spent over £1000 on an upgraded desktop PC specifically for this. I’m using the same OS and Nvidia drivers, and can can use any versions of Oculus runtime, the only red flag is Vorpx version. If I can’t roll back I have just wasted my entire Christmas fund.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please send a mail to support |at| vorpx com.

bugsquish
    Participant

In the end I copied the 0.8.1 vorpx files from my laptop to the desktop and rolled back oculus to 0.5.1, essentially duplicating the last known working setup. I can confirm that I now have working Geometry mode including configurable 3D and positional tracking.

So whatever the issue is, it is specific to vorpx 0.9. I wonder if it is related to resolution? I have to run 0.8.1 in dk2 extended mode which detects the native resolution of the headset so I can start skyrim in 1980×1024, but in 0.9 I must select 1280×1024 since my monitor is rubbish. Although I thought the new version was supposed to scale resolutions.

I hope this helps identify the cause to duplicate the issue in your end. In the meantime I can play. Thanks for your support and great software!

PS- I don’t know if you’re aware but vorpx’s gamepad mapping of triggers seems to be broken. They stutter when held down so can’t be used for charging spells etc. I bought a new gamepad thinking the others were busted but it’s specific to vorpx.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!