Skyrim Positional Tracking Issue

Homepage Forums Technical Support Skyrim Positional Tracking Issue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jf032
    Participant

I’ve set mouse sensitivity to default, I do the “fov 120” command in the console every tinme, and haven’t messed with the tracking settings.

The forward and backward positional movement is MUCH stronger than the left-right and up-down movement. This causes the positional tracking to feel “wrong.” I am 100% sure of this.

jf032
    Participant

I’d like to request other people verify that they have the same problem. It should be pretty obvious if you do.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you change any 3D related settings (for example the 3D-Strength or the 3D-FOV-enhancement)?

The whole system is still a bit rough around the edges, so some 3D related settings might have an influence on this. With default settings at least up/down/left/right should be exactly the same.

jf032
    Participant

Nevermind… it is some other issue. The strength of the tracking isn’t consistent, though.

jf032
    Participant

Did you change any 3D related settings (for example the 3D-Strength or the 3D-FOV-enhancement)?

The whole system is still a bit rough around the edges, so some 3D related settings might have an influence on this. With default settings at least up/down/left/right should be exactly the same.

I haven’t changed those settings.

While having my head in different pitches, the positional tracking changes strength. I don’t notice this problem in native demos/games/etc. Similarly, when I move pitch my head, the world doesn’t stay in place.

jf032
    Participant

“The world doesn’t stay in place” is an exaggeration. I mean, it doesn’t move how I expect it to. Postional tracking is definitely active.

jf032
    Participant

I’ve been spending too much time worrying about this and I’m too quick to post with information that turns out to be wrong. I’m going to take a break.

Thanks for reading/responding.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Be sure to recenter from time to time with [SHIFT][SPACE]. This might help and is important when you change your neutral position.

In generally this is correct behaviour though since your eyes (obviously ;)) do not rotate around their centers in reality too. That being said, it might not be entirely correct in vorpX.

jf032
    Participant

Before I go, I must also state that I like playing Skyrim in 2D mode (and so, without positional tracking). I need to go play some other games instead of obsessing over Skryim, since I enjoy that mode so much.

The 3D Z-modes don’t seem to work in Skyrim, btw.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Can you make a screenshot of that (using FRAPS for example), ideally with a foreground object before a larger open space, and then send it to support |at| vorpx com with some information about your graphics card, driver version etc.?

Just checked that here on three machines right before release to make sure nothing is broken in Skyrim. It is possible though that other cards/drivers make it impossible for vorpX to find the Z-Buffer.

Thanks in advance.

Iristrauma
    Participant

Ralf

I got Skyrim working pretty easily enough, but I see no shadows or evidence of G3D rendering or anyway to confirm if its running. Someone mentioned hitting Del, but that did nothing. I see no shadows in my game but they are clearly set in the skyrim ini file.How can we tell if geometry rending is on.?
    Vorpx also runs pretty choppy on my Rig which is a I74470K, GTX 780, and 16GB Hyperx Ram. Running Skyrim on my monitor I get over 100fps with a load of mods, but not using Vorpx..

Ralf
    Keymaster

Skyrim is a very taxing game, and rendering everything twice doesn’t exactly help. Outside it is very hard to get 60fps in Geometry 3D even with a high end machine. Not much vorpX can do about that. Try to lower the graphics settings in Skyrim until you get an acceptable result, also please try a install without any mods in case of problems.

For shadows you might have to set bDeferredShadows=0 in the Graphics section of your skyrimprefs.ini. vorpX tries to enable shadows without this fix, but maybe that fails on your PC for some reason.

Geometry 3D is on per default im Skyrim. Not sure why pressing delete doesn’t do anything for you unfortunately. Normally [DEL] opens the ingame menu, which allows you to change the game configuration. There is an entry called “3D-Reconstruction” which should read “Geometry 3D”. In that menu you can also make the 3D effect stronger if you wish to. Although it should look pretty natural with the default setting.

Iristrauma
    Participant

Got it working well with Skyrim, and managed to have the DEL key bring up the config menu. However, the shadows ingame are still not showing up even though they are set in the ini file, so I tried setting defered shadows to 0 which you suggested, but it didnt work.
    But if I start Skyrim normaly on my monitor after disabling Vorpx, the shadows come back no problems and display correctly ingame. Im pretty sure my Skyrim install is not the cause. tried with and without mods.. No luck..Suggestions..?
    Im out of ideas…

Trancer Spacey
    Participant

I have the same issues: no shadows in geometry mode (makes no difference when I disabled the realistic lighting mod) and I have also this behaviour in positional tracking whichs seems wrong: moving foreward and backward works good, left or right has no recognizable effect.

But I can live with that because I’m running Skyrim in Z-Mode. The performane is much better (I need a gtx 980!!) and the lighting-effects with shadows and illumination are rendered. It’s a pitty, this shadow/illumination problem, because for itself geometry mode looks very impressing in skyrim!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Geometry 3D shadows will be fixed with the next update. Due to a bug the current fix does not work reliably.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!