Skyrim SE xbox360 controller disconnecting

Homepage Forums Technical Support Skyrim SE xbox360 controller disconnecting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ogrescar
    Participant

Okay, I know that Skyrim is pretty flaky when it comes to controller input, but this only happens when I’m using Vorpx. Specifically, the game will go from controller input to emulated keyboard input randomly. It is basically the equivalent of turning Gamepad support off in the game settings – it still recognizes the controller but uses a backup control map which is unplayable for a number of reasons. I have the gamepad override in vorpx turned off, so it should, in theory, leave my controller alone except for the customary vorpx menu/edgepeek buttons.

I know that I could play with Vorpx controller support via keyboard emulation, but the last time I checked it didn’t support combination buttons like the custom control map I use, so that’s not a viable option. Headtracking I can do without – it’s great for games where I can actually use it, Skyrim just isn’t one of them – it’s laggy enough to begin with, without the extra layer added on.

At first I thought the Oculus client was responsible, but I can play the game flat using Virtual Desktop and never encounter this problem, so I’ve concluded that Vorpx is doing something flaky. Occasionally rebooting my machine helps, or playing the game on the desktop for a few minutes, but there’s really no discernable pattern, other than it usually happens after I enter a new game cell. I’ve tried using windowed mode, fullscreen, and borderless, but it doesn’t appear to make any difference what mode I’m using.

Anyway, I’ve been dealing with the for awhile, but it is really starting to become annoying. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please reset the profile to default.

The controller works natively after running the DirectVR scan and the scan requires the override to be enabled. In general it’s unwise to change the controller override when it is enabled per default in an official profile. It is never enabled without reason.

Ogrescar
    Participant

I reset the profile, did a directVR scan, and insured that the override was enabled. The net result of that is it goes into the emulated mouse/kb mode that I was complaining about. That is NOT native gamepad support; it is a mode where it recognizes that a gamepad is plugged in and provides limited support, but to get true controller support bGamepadEnable must be set in SkyrimPrefs.ini. The difference in functionality is fairly obvious – when set, the game will no longer accept keyboard input at all (except for the console key) and the controller map is enabled.

I can work around the issue by setting vorpx to output to the generic display and using Virtual Desktop to send it to the headset. I don’t want to do that because there’s a small impact on image quality and fps, but apparently what vorpx thinks is native controller support is not really native support at all, and I don’t see why it can’t just pass things through without interfering.

On the topic of DirectVR, it always ends with fov success and rotation success or failed. I can set the fov with a console command and rotation will never work when the gamepad is truly enabled because there’s no mouse control, so a directVR scan is rather pointless.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Never heard of anything like that before, sorry. The main point of the DirectVR scan is enabling 1:1 headtracking via accessing memory addresses, so after sucessfully running the DirectVR scan vorpX doesn’t have to emulate a mouse anymore and auto disables the gamepad override, which prior to the scan is necessary since the game can’t handle simultaneous mouse and gamepad input. When the override gets disabled after the scan, the game’s native gamepad handling kicks in. Played many hours of Skyrim myself that way.

You can see also see that in vorpX menu. While before running the scan the override is enabled, after a successful scan the setting is named slightly differently and should show ‘Off’.

The only two settings in the vorpX menu you’ll ever want to touch for Skyrim (DX9 as well SE) are the resolution quality on the DirectVR page and optionally the sharpening amount.

Ogrescar
    Participant

Whatever directvr is doing, it has the effect of setting bGamepadEnable to false in SkyrimPrefs.ini. That’s not native support, it’s the opposite, and a controller that was once working fine suddenly becomes useless in the middle of the game. All of your input prompts get changed from xbox icons to keyboard prompts even though the keyboard is disabled, controller buttons no longer work or are remapped to different functions, and the mouse cursor is suddenly back even though the mouse input is disabled.

I’ve renamed vorpscan64.exe, and tried the steamvr client instead of oculus, and while both attempts worked initially, the controller still gets remapped sooner or later.

I’ll use my Virtual Desktop workaround if you aren’t going to fix the buggy implementation – I get better fps at the cost of image quality, but that’s better than trying to play the game with the limited controller support that vorpx keeps insisting on, when it should just leave things alone. Disabling the gamepad override in vorpx should actually disable it.

No one (except you maybe) plays Skyrim with a controller in the emulated keyboard mode you call native. It is a horrendously bad, default configuration. Maybe I can find a mod that will undo the stuff that vorpx is doing – I dunno.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX doesn’t touch this setting at all. Skyrim is being played that way for years without anyone ever bringing up such an issue. As mentioned above, I also played it myself many hours. Plus the game actually still is one of my regular test titles. I’d love to tell you something else if I could, but this is not an issue that occurs under normal circumstances.

Ogrescar
    Participant

Well, at this point I feel like a total idiot. My initial assessment was correct – it was the Oculus Client messing things up, not Vorpx. I realized this after the problem occurred again last night and I tried to repair it with the game console, which failed miserably because it was already gamepad-enabled.

For some reason the Oculus client was hiding the controller and sending keystrokes and mouse inputs (sounds a bit far-fetched on the keystrokes, but I opened up the console, moved the left stick around, and saw it fill up with WASD’s). I checked some other games (Bioshock Infinite for example) and they also had the same problem, while other’s didn’t (Borderlands 3 and Witcher 3). Even some native VR apps had this problem, whereas Virtual Desktop was unscathed.

Anyway, I had to re-install the Oculus software 3 times and re-pair the controller a gazillion times before it took, so I’ll be getting a new hmd soon. If you’ve got any recommendations for anything that doesn’t have Oculus or Facebook written on it…

So…I was really having fun in Skyrim – I’d lost interest in the game before Vorpx, but now I’m back at it again. Vorpx was what I got my headset for, I just didn’t realize it at the time, so thank you very much (I found that with few exceptions that native VR games are {expletive deleted}, IMO).

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX sends keystrokes while the controller override is enabled. That’s the point of the override. Since many games can’t handle simultaneous mouse/gamepad input, vorpX comes with a well featured gamepad to mouse/kb emulator to deal with such games. However, as mentioned above, after running the DirectVR scan vorpX no longer needs to emulate a mouse for head tracking and thus the game’s inability to handle simultaneous mouse/gamepad input is not an issue anymore. Hence the gamepad override gets disabled after the DirectVR scan and the gamepad works natively. the same is true for a lot of other games, including Bioshock.

Can’t really explain it any other way, hope it was understandable this way.

Ogrescar
    Participant

The only real implementation issue that I see is that disabling the gamepad override does actually disable it, which is what brought me here in the first place. If I run a DirectVR scan and then disable the gamepad override everything works okay (minus head tracking rotation), but requiring the scan first is counter-intuitive. Not performing the scan leads to a situation in which it apparently switches on/off the override based on directvr data, which may not exist.

As far as head-tracking rotation, it’s great when it works, but I’ve seen it invert numerous times and switching the invert on/off in vorpx doesn’t appear to do anything. On one occasion it rotated the camera (or the world) 90 degrees. So, I disabled the override and found that it only made things worse.

If it was vorpx sending the keystrokes, then it was doing so regardless of whether the override was disabled or not.

Ogrescar
    Participant

I just tried this on a new game with full override on the controller. It took four scans and 2 restarts before it actually put the controller into native mode, regardless of whether the scan succeeded (Icons/Prompts didn’t change and opening the console I could see keystrokes still being sent). And the rotation is not working.

If I disable the override in vorpx, it still requires the scans. It shouldnt take a bunch of scans and restarts to make it actually work. It should just put you into native mode and bypass directvr altogether.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I can’t really explain it any other way than I did two times above already, sorry. SOME GAMES CAN’T HANDLE SIMULTANEOUS MOUSE AND GAMEPAD INPUT. So whenever vorpX has to emulate a mouse for head tracking, it uses its built in gamepad to mouse/kb mapper in affected games to deal with the matter.

The only alternative to that in affected games would be no gamepad at all. The override is not some useless thing put in place to annoy you, it’s a fairly nifty feature that let’s you use your gamepad in games where otherwise you couldn’t use it together with mouse emulation head tracking at all.

After a successful DirectVR scan head tracking is done by directly accessing the game’s camera rotation in memory (another, even niftier feature), so no mouse emulation is necessary anymore and the override gets disabled, which enables native gamepad input.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!