Skyrim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    willypat
    Participant

No one praising this one yet?? What the hell?? Looks fantastic!! The scale and 3D could not be better. One fix had to be made …shadows flickering. The fix… in the skyrimprefs.ini change bDeferredShadows=1 to bDeferredShadows=0 …for some reason it has fixed the shadow problem either way if its zero make it 1 …if its 1 make it zero. People complaining about Vorpx costing 40 dollars are insane. Skyrim alone is worth the forty dollars. Excellent job Ralf! You can just hang by the river looking up at the immense mountains in awe that you are in Skyrim!!!

Bulkatho
    Participant

Well I have an issue with the headtracking in Skyrim. I can look up/down + left/right but when I tilt my head the vision does not.

derkaderk
    Participant

Thanks for mentioning that fix. Unfortunately turning deffered shadows off doesn’t get rid of that shadow flickering for me. tried both setting it to 1 or 0.

Looks like the ambientocclusion is flashing on and off which gets realy nauseating after a while. Other than that I agree that it looks amazing.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ derkaderk: In case you use mods, please try a fresh Skyrim install without any mods.

If the above still happens with a fresh install, and you want to invest a (very) little bit of time helping to resolve the issue, please do these two things:

1. Try to apply the Skyrim Game Optimizer settings in the vorpX config app. Won’t affect shadows, but I’d like to know whether that maybe throws a “Settings path not found” error on your PC.

2. Please send your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini (the ones form your My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory) to support |at| vorpx com.

I probably will not be able to provide an instant fix, but both things will help me to investigate the issue. Manual ini-tweaks shouldn’t be necessary at all, I may have overlooked something.

derkaderk
    Participant

email sent. I dindn’t get that error “Settings path not found” btw.

TiLT
    Participant

Anyone tried out the Skyrim Beautification Project ENB yet? I used an injector to get it up and running after verifying that it looked good on a regular monitor, but the results were mind-boggling in the Rift. Things like trees and fish would pop through every other item in the world, being drawn differently for each eye just to make it worse. The 3D became flatter and uneven. It was pretty much unplayable.

Was this just a freak incident on my side, or is this something others experience too? All the other essential mods from that project work fine with the Rift, it’s just the ENB that messes things up.

jminternelia
    Participant

I cannot get it to work at all. I disabled 2 out of 3 monitors, and i cant get the menu to pop up in skyrim at all. everything is crammed right up against my face, so i cant even play. on top of that whenever vorpx is enabled, windows get randomly moved to the rift. really pain. any suggestions? not really able to search through the forum

LifePeace
    Participant

Ralph,

First of all. Just bought Vorpx. Awesome work! I’m looking forward to everything coming from you guys in the future! I’m blown away so far and expect this will continue. :)

This all being said, I also had this shadow flicker issue in Skyrim and what fixed it for me was to actually ENABLE nvidia 3d vision in their control panel and just make sure it’s off in the game (but still enabled). It stops the flicker immediately and once it’s no longer enabled in the control panel, the shadows start flickering again. This also happened with Vireo Perception. So whatever is causing this is universal it seems. There are those out there who are trying everything with no avail. The solution I found is to turn on nvidia 3d vision and make sure to hit “apply”. Once the game starts if you need to, turn off the 3d with the Nvidia shortcut “ctr + T”.

Ralph, again this is MILES ahead of Perception and well worth the money. I’m very happy with your teams work and am looking forward to much more from you guys in the future! Thanks for helping us all enjoy our oculus substantially more than expected!! :)

Note : I have a DK2 so perhaps this specific shadow flicker issue is DK2 specific. Never had the DK1 so can’t say it happens with it.

LifePeace
    Participant

IMPORTANT. The shadow issue I was referring to in my reply was the one the continues regardless of ANY bDeferredShadows edits. I tried 1 and 0 and neither fixed the shadow flicker. It was nvidia 3d enable that did it for me. I forgot to clarify that lol

Ralf
    Keymaster

Flickering shadows might be caused by forcing Ambient Occlusion through the nVidia driver. If you have an nVidia card and have that enabled, you should disable it. So far there were two reports of flickering shadows that I’m aware of, in both cases this was the cause.

LifePeace
    Participant

Okay so I just tried this and it is true that it was caused by ambient occlusion. That being said, would it then make sense to enable Nvidia 3d vision the way I said above if someone wanted to have ambient occlusion while playing? The frame rates didn’t change much for me as that’s the only other issue I’m having with skyrim in geometry 3d for now. Is there any other glitches happening related to having Nvidia 3d vision on?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Without having checked that, I would guess that nVidia auto disables ambient occlusion when 3D Vision is on, so you probably don’t gain anything.

Having both 3D Vision and vorpX active may cause all sorts of issues. I would generally not recommend that. Most importantly: please do not report bugs with a setup like this without checking whether they also are there with default nVidia driver settings.

LifePeace
    Participant

I understand. I will only report bugs with a completely Vanilla install of any game I play while following all of your recommendations. Which is why I mentioned this one as I wanted to turn off Nvidia 3d vision but it made Skyrim unplayable lol. So now I can follow the guide properly. Thank you for your help. I will disable Ambient Occlusion and turn of Nvidia 3d vision before I attempt to post any concerns. :)

bfn1
    Participant

Hi,

I am having the shadow-flicker issue, too. (Changing bDeferredShadows isn’t helping). True, turning of ambient occlusion fixes the flicker, but at the cost of disabling shadows themselves as well. It is a little like exterminating disesease by killing the patient ^^ Is there a way around the flickering issue that makes shadows possible?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Disabling ambient occlusion in the nVidia control panel does not disable Skyrim shadows normally. The native Skyrim shadows have nothing to do with the nVidia ambient occlusion.

The ambient occlusion that can be enabled in the nVidia driver is not a genuine Skyrim feature at all, it is applied as a post process in the nVidia driver, hence it does not work with vorpX.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!