some hints for VIVE users ?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion some hints for VIVE users ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tig3rmast3r
    Participant

Just purchased vorpx a couple of days ago, only tried battlefield 4 atm, the image quality is horrible to be honest, i had 1920*1080 resolution ingame, that screen is then projected on a small screen inside the vive, so the resolution is already scaled down, then you zoom in for the “vr” effect and you end having pixels large like a mountain.
    Not to mention that the 3d is faked with z-buffer, with very low to none effect and artifacts.

What am i missing? is it possible to set up a resolution that is going to use all the VIVE displays instead that just a portion of it ?

Do i have to set 1080*1200 ingame ?

Also is it possible to have information about the geometry 3d support for games? maybe on the supported game list you should write wich ones are available in true 3d, the fake z-buffer 3d is something i want to avoid at all costs.

Lastly, would it be possible to use the tridef driver togheter with vorpx ? they have a very good list of supported games in real 3d, would be great.

I’ll test more games in the meantime i really hope i’m missing something else vorpx is a no go for me.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

ok i’ve tried cod:ghosts with various resolutions, even if i put a very large resolution like 1920*2160 doesn’t change anything because vorpx downscale it always to the same small screen inside the VIVE. higher res maybe does better job for aa but it’s a very small improvement because the resolution is too small.

It uses the resolution you have when you zoom out with middle mouse button, that is something like 50% of the vive display, and then uses this downscaled resolution to zoom in when you press middle mouse button to exit windowed mode.
    Why it does’t do the opposite ? use full resolution and downscale only when i press the middle mouse?

it’s like gaming at something like 500*600 all the way in to your face…

i believe oculus doesn’t have this problem, right ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You only need to use the image zoom if you can’t adjust the field of view (FOV) for a game. If you can set the FOV to 120°, you don’t need the image zoom, allowing you to use the full screen area of the headset.

For BF4 for example the FOV can be adjusted with a single click in the vorpX Game Optimizer in the config app. COD Ghost has an ingame FOV slider IIRC. If a game or vorpX don’t provide an internal solution, an external tool like Flawless Widescreen or Widescreen Fixer can often be used to enhance the FOV.

The two games you mention indeed only have Z-Buffer 3D, many others allow to switch between Geometry 3D (rendering everything twice) and Z-Buffer 3D. Be aware though that G3D is a lot more taxing. In many newer games you will have a hard time to get VR compatible frame rates with G3D.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

probably i wasn’t clear, i’m not talking about fov, i’m talking about resolution.
    It looks like the full screen image (the one that fit your entire vive display) is not at full resolution but is a stretched image taken from the smaller one, the one that is displayed when you press the middle mouse button.

hope is clearer now, thanks for the hint btw…

is there a way to enable just head tracking and keep the d3d injector disabled ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The resolution that is suggested per default is a compromise between quality and performance, but you can of course set games to any resolution you want if your PC allows you to do that. The perfect resolution quality wise would be 1920×1440.

Just be aware that many newer programs will not run fast enough when you do that. VR headsets are designed for 90fps ideally, which you won’t be able to achieve for many games even at the suggested 1280×1024 let alone at highr resolutions. This suggestion is not set in stone though, you can choose higher resolutions at any time if a game runs fast enough that way on your machine.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

Do you even read the message or what ?

ok i’ve tried cod:ghosts with various resolutions, even if i put a very large resolution like 1920*2160 doesn’t change anything because vorpx downscale it always to the same small screen inside the VIVE. higher res maybe does better job for aa but it’s a very small improvement because the resolution is too small.

and

It looks like the full screen image (the one that fit your entire vive display) is not at full resolution but is a stretched image taken from the smaller one, the one that is displayed when you press the middle mouse button.

i have a gtx 1080 so performances are not a problem.

i don’t know how to say it in other words i’m sorry

let’s do the steps.

i set 1920*2160 ingame (windowed)
    i launch vorpx and game
    vorpx downscale it to something like 500*600 (and is good looking when is small on the vive, middle mouse button)
    i press middle mouse button and that 500*600 is then zoomed in to fit the display.
    in fact the image is not crisp like when is zoomed out, it clearly looks as an upscale.

it should instead show me a 1080*1200 and not a 500*600 stretched.

Creep
    Participant

Try using 1920*1440p at 120° FOV before you do anything else. I personally like to reduce the Image Zoom a couple of steps from the default setting.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The suggested resolution of 1920×1440 means that one rendered pixel approximately correspondents to one screen pixel, which is how it works for most native apps. Nothing is downscaled unless you maybe have chosen a Image Zoom value snmaller than 1:0. Might make sense to do a factory reset (config app, trouble shoot page) if you already tweaked very much.

Choosing even higher resolutions like you did results in even better image quality (similar to using Dynamic Super Resolution when playing on a monitor), a similar effect occurs when you use EdgePeek.

1920×1440 basically leads to the same result as native apps image quality wise though.

Since this is so important I’d like to reiterate that a decent frame rate in the long run is the more important thing to consider. Always check your frame rate while experimenting with resolutions (ALT+F). There probably aren’t many recent games where 1920×2160 makes sense performance wise.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

ok guys i’ve got the problem, i was wrong about the stretch, the problem is with cod:ghosts that don’t allow vertical res higher than the monitor, even if i put it in windowed mode. so even with 1920*2160 i got 1080, that’s why i didn’t see any difference.

what i want to try tonight is to set a resolution of 1080*1200 (or 1080*1080 for cod) and then use the nvidia drs to double the resolution with a good aa.
    Sorry for the flame, i should have tested it more..

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you run games windowed, you can often set resolutions higher than your monitor allows. Square resolutions like the 1080×1080 you mention are not recommended. That can and will confuse certain aspects of vorpX in some games and may lead to all sorts of issues ranging from severe rendering artifacts to not working stereo 3D.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

Why you suggest 1920 if vive has 1080*1200 ? Does vorpx use a sort of side by side for 3d? In this case 1920 would have sense.
    So basically the perfect resolution should be 2160*1200 theoretically??

Ralf
    Keymaster

No. Using widescreen resolutions is a waste of processing power. Use the 5:4/4:3 resolutions I recommended above a few times. That makes your life easier while still providing most of the advantages of a custom resolutions. They are recommended for three reasons:

1. Not all games work well with unusual aspect ratios.
    2. They are easier to handle since they don’t have to be added manually.
    3. They leave some room for vorpX’s custom timewarp when you turn your head.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

i’ve tried ghosts and deadspace 2 using nvidia DSR 4x, so basically 3840*2160..
    It looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!!
    this is how it should be, i have 45 fps nearly constant at max settings on both games, i don’t expect to be able to do it on newer games but on this 2 it looks perfect!
    At least on newer games i prefer much more lowering details but DSR x4 is a must to enjoy this vorpx without minecraft effect.
    Unfortunately it’s impossible to use DSR on custom resolutions, so for newer games that i’m going to test i’ll check first for windowed mode then if it’s not possible to set higher res i’ll go for DSR.
    I’ve zoomed out a bit the screen in order to use all the available pixels as it’s a 16:9 res (something around 70%, i still cover the vive fully).
    Dead space is in geometry 3d but there are some minor artifacts and also as it’s not a first person view game is not the best on the vr, but the quality is now how i wanted it to be.
    Searching for a geometry 3d fps now.. any suggestion that is NOT on this list? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xQom_2-Hgno-zO_wQtjarapZEyW_1XCL5LB8TX8v7zc/edit?pli=1#gid=0
    Rendering issues on alien isolation are now fixed ? would be great on vr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!