Some ideas and questions for Oculus Ralf

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Some ideas and questions for Oculus Ralf

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Karlor
    Participant

Just 2 things I have been thinking about:

Adding another page in the vorpX menu to adjust the Rifts video. Like on a TV you can adjust color, contrast, hue, brightness/back-light… Things like that, a way to adjust the actual screen settings. I have used my DK2 for far to many hours and I can notice some slight color “dullness” if you will, and I have a dead pixel way way down in my peripheral. Anyway I’m not sure if something like that already exists but if possible it might be a cool thing for vopX. I know games have brightness settings but the way the Rift screen is even if you turn down the brightness in game its still bright because of over back-lighting. Also after a marathon run you can really notice the color fade kick in.

An export button somewhere in the vopX menu to export the current game settings to a text document. This could be used for posting your game specific tweaks or at some point down the road maybe even a way to import other peoples settings doc into their game.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Image processing:

I thought about implementing a more complete post processing stage when I did the sharpening filter, but eventually stayed away from it since the most important things like brightness/contrast/gamma are often provided by the games themselves. Technically this would be no problem, but such things always take away precious GPU-cycles.

If anyone else is interested in this, please post here, and I will reconsider.

Profile Import/Export:

This will definitely be implemented, I’m just not sure when yet. Right now from time to time still changes happen in the code that would completely break things whith older settings.

There are not many of such changes anymore, but it probably makes sense to still wait a little bit for this. It’s definitely on the list.

Karlor
    Participant

Ok I get what your saying about using up cycles. Is there a less CPU/GPU intensive way to adjust things like that for the Rifts screen? Maybe at like an almost hardware level? Or would something like that be for Oculus to implement? It would be cool for the consumer Rift to have a “menu” button on the side of it that lets you adjust its setting like you do on a screen or TV.

Looking forward to Import/Export :) It would be really really handy. For trying out completely different set ups, swapping out settings so a friend can hop in without redoing everything each time, and for sharing cool and use full game tweaks. Also for people doing the rename-game it could make using a profile for that a lot easier too. Especially if you happen to use the same profile for multiple unsupported games.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Doing this on a hardware level would be something that Oculus has to do. They probably could, but apparently (and understandably) that wasn’t a priority for the devkits.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!