Source Engine?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Source Engine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Multinacho8
    Participant

For some reason, in every Source Engine game I’ve tried(Portal 2, Half-Life 2, Black Mesa) my weapons look huge. I tried adjusting the viewmodel FOV, but that doesn’t fix the problem.

I’ve tried looking for a solution in the forums, but for some reason I haven’t seen anyone else bring it up. People talk about how Source Engine games work perfectly but never mention this issue.

Is this a widespread thing? Or is it relatively rare? And does it have a fix?

Also, on an unrelated note, I saw that the latest update for VorpX added Direct VR support for F.E.A.R. 2. Would it be possible for you to add Direct VR support for the first F.E.A.R. game?

Thank you for your patience.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can only get so far with the viewmodel FOV, but that’s basically all that can be done. Since these games were designed to look good on a monitor, weapons aren’t rendered with world scale/fov. Not all, but many first person games do this.

What was added to F.E.A.R. 2 was DirectVR FOV, F.E.A.R. 1 already has that. Head tracking is mouse based in both games.

dellrifter22
    Participant

If you’re not bothered by a bit of letterboxing, you can make it a little better with a balanced combination of:

a. zooming the screen out a fair distance (things become smaller)
    b. decreasing FOV to compensate (to maintain world scale)
    c. re-adjusting 3D strength to your preferred balance of depth vs scale
    (increasing makes things smaller but pop more, decreasing makes things bigger but lose some depth)

Also, don’t forget to use the “main eye” option for games that use iron sights. It greatly helps aiming with your preferred eye. Enable expert settings in vorpX Config for access in game.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!