Space Engineers does not work in VR

Homepage Forums Technical Support Space Engineers does not work in VR

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ViktorF
    Participant

nVidia GTX 1080, AMD 3800X CPU, X570 mainboard, HP Reverb G2 headset, WMR and Steam VR are set up and working properly.

With the default VorpX setup Space Engineers in not hooked, so does not show up in VR at all. I tried to change the options on the General settings, they did not help.

With the watcher disabled, the desktop viewer shows the game on the theater’s screen, but has horrible stuttering right when a game is loaded, but no such problems in the 2D menu. Lowering the game’s resolution and the HMD rendering resolution did not help. It seems to mix up frames back and forth, showing the wrong one for hundreds of milliseconds.

Yes, I’m aware of the Steam VR problems caused by the most recent nVidia drivers in the past few months. I reverted to the 446.14 (May 27, 2020) driver as suggested by Steam VR. It helped the desktop viewer to not crash after a few seconds of stuttering, but the main problem still persists.

I tried the Tron 2.0 game (bought it for just this test), that is hooked properly and works perfectly.

I tried a different game (Worlds Adrift Island Creator) in desktop viewer mode, there was no stuttering there, showing it in 3D on the cinema screen. Although the viewer lost the game when it loaded a world, so it is still unusable.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem hooking the game here. Only issue I had was that HUD scaling doesn’t work currently, which can happen if a game update also updated a game’s shaders. Will look into that.

Probably there is something on your PC that causes a conflict when hooking into DX11 games. Did you try to install a hook helper? The attach dialog should offer this option after a minute or so. Hook helpers can resolve many hooking conflicts without having to get to the bottom of the matter.

If that doesn’t help, please thoroughly check the pinned trouble shooting guide on top of this sub forum. it has more detailed information regarding hooking conflicts.

ViktorF
    Participant

No hook helper is offered after VorpX fails to hook. Not even in multiple minutes.

I cannot find documentation on how to install the hook helper manually.

I’m using Bitdefender Antivirus, but it does not report any conflict/problems with VorpX. I tried to disable its protection features temporarily, it made no difference.

Ralf
    Keymaster

BitDefender is your problem. Please make sure to disable it entirely, especially its so called ‘Advanced Threat Protection’, which – rather unadvanced – blocks Windows functions vorpX uses to hook into games.

If that does not help, try to remove your third party AV software. There is no real need for invasive third party AV on Windows 10. Windows Defender will automatically kick in when you remove it. That’s more than good enough for several years now.

ViktorF
    Participant

Thank you for the really quick response, I really appreciate it.

I’ve just sent a request to Bitdefender’s support to whitelist VorpX releases on a timely manner.

Until then I try to disable Advanced Threat Protection or uninstall Bitdefender as last resort.

ViktorF
    Participant

Disabled the Advanced Threat Protection in Bitdefender and put VorpX to whitelist in every aspect. It did the trick, hooking happens as expected.

It needs some fine-tuning, but works well with the cinema 3D display and Geometry 3D modes at 2560×1440 windowed resolution. Had to lower the graphics settings to medium and 8x FXAA to have reasonable performance. The HUD is a bit big, so I have to look down a lot, but it works and still fully visible.

Maybe buying a better GPU will help one day, but so far so good.

Thank you for your help, Ralf! Keep up the good work! Excellent software.

Keen (the developer of SE) should eat sh*t, because they abandoned the VR support they started to implement…

ViktorF
    Participant

Also works very well in Immersive Display Mode

ViktorF
    Participant

Worlds Adrift Island Creator also works after disabling Advanced Threat Protection in Bitdefender.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!