Standing Ovation

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Standing Ovation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    erised
    Participant

Hey Ralf,

I just created an account specifically to say thank you.

Honestly, I struggle to think of another piece of software that fundamentally expands the use of a piece of hardware at such a degree. I have seen this mentioned before but will say it again. Oculus, HTC and VR in general really owe you big time.

Initially I had doubts about this software and its cost but wow has it blown them away. 40$ is an absolute steal for this software. I’ve clocked in at least 100+ hours in VORPX sessions for my favourite games and now use it almost daily.

On top of what you’ve provided, the level of support, responsiveness and committment to keep improving Vorpx is impressive.

Well done and keep it up.

Cheers

steph12
    Participant

i agree, vorpx is amazing and i cant wait for the next update and new profiles & features.
    i’m really grateful to Ralf for developping this software, it brings so much VR fun !

dborosev
    Participant

Yup. One of the best additions to VR period. 3rd person games in cinema mode are especially my favorite. Adds new depth and life to existing games.

Demosthenes
    Participant

I echo these sentiments. As well as the newer games, the ability to take an old game off the shelf [literally since I have a massive big-box collection] and discover that with some effort it can work with Vorpx is great. I’ve gone back and played games that I always meant to play with immersion better than the orginal developers could have hoped for.

I look forward to the next version of VorpX, and indeed VorpY & VorpZ.

Sinizar
    Participant

I guess I don’t get what this software is for as all it seems to do is add Cinema mode but I could already do this with Oculus Rift software and any game I own. I would like to give this software the kind of praises you are but I just purchased it today and feel like I wasted $42. Does VorpX do anything besides Cinema mode for games? So far Portal 2, Diablo 3, and World of Warcraft tried and all of them give me Cinema mode with head tracking. If this is it I would rather play on a monitor. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Portal 2 was the best of the group as you could scan and then it gives you more of a 3D look but you are still looking through a 4:3 screen.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Third person games like Diablo 3 or WoW usually start in cinema mode. You can switch to full VR mode in the vorpX menu (DEL key), but that doesn’t necessarily make much sense for every game. Diablo 3 for example has an isometric camera perspective looking down on the playfield, so it’s best best played in cinema mode. vorpX cannot change the actual game mechanics of a game.

However, for first person games, especially those with Direct VR (like Portal 2), the experience comes quite close to native VR games. Portal 2 does not run on a virtual cinema screen with vorpX, it takes you into the game exactly like a native VR game, even including basic roomscale capabilities in that particular case.

Good games to get started (all with Direct VR support) are listed below. Later, when you know a bit better what vorpX can and cannot do and how it works, you will also be able to bring other first person games close to that.

Borderlands 2
    Borderlands Pre-Sequel
    Skyrim (original DX9 version is usually the better choice)
    Bioshock (DX9)
    Bioshock 2 (DX9)
    Bioshock Infinite
    Dishonored
    Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Fallout 4
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Mirror’s Edge
    Deus Ex Human Revolutions
    Black Mesa Source
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2 Episode 1
    Half-Life 2 Episode 2
    Aliens Colonial Marines
    Dear Esther (Source engine version)
    The Stanley Parable

Sinizar
    Participant

Not sure what I am doing wrong then because I tried some of the games on the list and they are not anything like an Oculus game as I am looking at a 4:3 window that is in front of me like Cinema display. Is there something I am suppose to do in game because Alt L gives it a nice 3D gun look but I am still looking at a square window. If it does what you say it will listed above then I can see this being very cool but right now it is not great at all. Not sure why it didn’t come with a tutorial of some kind. Pressing the delete key brings up a menu but it is just adjusting what I see in the square window.

dborosev
    Participant

For starters, cinema mode is full stereo 3D so it’s not like playing on flat screen

Ralf
    Keymaster

If that is the case, all I can imagine is that you either activated EdgePeek mode (middle mouse button), which is meant for watching cutscenes and using menus, or ypu changed the ImageZoom value in the vorpX menu.

First person games, definitely all in the list above, per default launch in Full VR mode and Direct VR takes care of FOV and head tracking sensitivity for all games listed above.

If you already tried to adjust many settings, it might make sense to do a factory reset in the config app.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!