Stanley Parable Settings

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Stanley Parable Settings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jeffamundo
    Participant

How have others been able to get Stanley Parable to work? I set the resolution to 1080, the field of view all the way up, and I played with the mouse sensitivity setting. About one notch away from the slowest mouse sensitivity seemed to work best – but far from ideal.

I’ve noticed that any slower, and my head movements will either exaggerate the turning of my head such that I can see directly behind me by turning my head to the side, or if I make the mouse sensitivity lower, the screen will barely move with my head movements.

Something is very wrong with the proportions/distortion as well, because the images looked stretched, especially at the sides and things that are far away. I thought the field of view might change this, but nothing seems to get it right. I think I can live with this until I get to the boss’s office, and everything is so out of portion, that it looks like a nightmare from a tv show, where they use a wide angle lens.

I also notice that the instructions say the game uses 3d, but I cannot find where to turn that on.

If you have figured out how to get Stanley Parable to work properly with Vorpx on the DK2, please share your tips here.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You have to adjust the head tracking sensitivity once for every game, since the value is relative to mouse sensitivity. This can be done in the vorpX ingame menu. This is explained in greater detail in the quick reference and the “How to get the most out of vorpX” guide in the documentation.

If you are sure that your other issue is not caused by FOV (it sounds indeed very much like a FOV issue), it might be a resolution problem. Make sure to set every game to 1920×1080. Also please check whether you have set the aspect ratio mode to “Logarithmic” accidentally, which causes image distortion. Profiles can be reset to default in the config app BTW, which can be useful if something appears to be messed up.

I’ll look into the 3D, not sure what might cause this. Should work without anything special to do on your end. For the most natural Stereo 3D you have to select Geometry 3D.

jeffamundo
    Participant

I have tried to adjust the field of view, but nothing seems to make the game look “right”. I tried “Logarithmic”, and that took the distortion further. What possible settings between the Vorpx settings and game settings could contribute to this kind of distortion? I hate to mess around with every setting, because some things seem to make it worse. Hopefully somebody out there has found a way to make it look proportioned and correct for Stanley Parable.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you could post a video, it might be easier to understand the issue. Fraps should work fine for recording. Please reset the Stanley Parable profile to default in the config app before doing so.

You should NOT use the logarithmic AR mode, since it introduces distortion by design. I meant to disable it in case you enabled it accidentally before. The same is true for the 2D FOV Enhancement BTW.

moarveer
    Participant

I have the game so I’ll check it out and see if I can config it decently

moarveer
    Participant

Ok so after trying it, the game looks great to me once you set up the fov to maximum. However it has the ugly habit of resetting the FOV constantly, so even though you may have changed it at the beginning, it goes back to minimum when you’re in-game. Remember to hit the middle button to go back to the game. Other than that, the game looks perfect as is, I tweaked a bit the 3d effect but not that much.

Also any kind of AA kills the performance.

The big problem for me is that if you keep walking forward, when you’re about to cross a door that gets you in a room with another two doors, the game freezes. I’ve tried twice, same result.

moarveer
    Participant

One little detail though, when you look up it somehow fixes the view and you lose free look, I don’t think it’s vorpx fault, just that the game works like that.

jeffamundo
    Participant

Thank you for checking that! I thought I noticed the FOV resetting, but assumed I must have just done it wrong the first time. Did you find a way to get the FOV to stay at maximum?

moarveer
    Participant

Nope, afaik you have to set it up every time you play.

jeffamundo
    Participant

Thanks for the tip on not using the AA, that’s a huge help. I tried almost every degree of FOV, and it only improved the situation, without fixing it. I noticed that even at the best of the horizontal FOV settings, the vertical skewedness was still horrible when looking up and down. You brought up that I should press the middle button. How so? I notice that when I toggle that, I there is a view that is even worse, and there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

I’m starting to fear that this might just be a side effect of the VorpX. I haven’t gotten anything to work yet, so I thought Stanley Parable would be a safe and simple place to start. Can you tell me if you got the FOV correct/perfect, or just BETTER? I ask, because some people might tolerate imperfection just for the novelty of using VR. Have you tried the Half Life 2 VR build that doesn’t need VorpX? That works near perfectly, at least in terms of FOV visual perception. I’ll have to try a few more games to see if I can figure this out.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You will probably hate me, but that sounds A LOT like either the resolution is not set to 1920×1080 or the aspect ratio mode is set to “Logarithmic” or “Strech”. Make sure to use “Pixel 1:1” (the default) for the best result. Also do not use the 2D FOV Enhancement which creates a similar distortion (in both cases on purpose).

Might make sense to restore your Stanley Parable game profile to default in the vorpX config app. You should not have to adjust anything in the vorpX menu besides maybe the 3D-Strength if you don’t like the default value.

Setting the FOV in the game to the second highest value gives an almost perfect result here. If you feel that finetuning is necessary, you can use the 3D FOV Enhancement in the vorpX ingame menu for fine grained adjustment (at the expense of a slight shadow offset).

moarveer
    Participant

The middle button is used for edge peek, it allows you to see the full screen of the game while moving your head, very useful to check the HUD in game, and when you click it back you are again in the normal game view. Still edge peek may look a bit weird, so perhaps you were using only that view.

I suggest you try Bioshock 1, it has a profile in config options so it’s very easy to setup, it looks fantastic and performance is really good. Also Dear Esther works great for me, really good sense of presence, great performance.

As always use 1080p and max the fov in the game config if available. 3d FOV in vorpx settings works great but don’t max it since it creates graphic issues. That and 3d strength are the main things I tweak to get a good sense of immersion and scale.

jeffamundo
    Participant

Thank you both for the explanations. Does VorpX work just as well in Bioshock 2? If so, that’s excellent, because I stopped playing that game just to wait to play it using VorpX on the DK2. I’d like to get Stanley Parable to work first as a test, because it’s very straight forward atmosphere and gameplay makes it easy to detect distortion. I might move on if I can’t figure this out thought.

It is worth noting that I just set the FOV to the second highest value, confirmed the resolution was set to 1080p, and reset the VorpX settings in game. I’ll also note that repeatedly, when I hit delete to bring up and remove the in game menu, it will often not come back up unless I restart the game. Is that just Stanley Parable or is it a common bug? I also checked the game configuration settings in the VorpX configuration page, and I saw a list of games, but Stanley Parable was not one of them. What does that mean? Given that the settings should be default anyway, I’m hoping that would not cause a problem. As I mentioned, the aspect ratio is 1:1, confirmed. The other settings simply make it WORSE, but in a similar manner of distortion. The thing is that even when I find the best FOV setting in the Stanley Parable FOV options, I still find that the vertical distortion when I look up and down is distinctly very very wrong. At this point, I’ll move on to another game, but Stanley Parable is a perfect game for VR experience, so it would be good if we could figure this one out eventually.

moarveer
    Participant

I haven’t tried Bioshock 2 with DK2 but it worked great with DK1 so I suppose it runs really well. It also has a profile for it in Vorpx config.

I didn’t have any problems getting Vorpx config menu ingame, so that’s new to me sorry.

Afaik fame profiles are specific configurations for those games that config them automatically, so you don’t have to tweak them in the Vorpx menu, those games that aren’t there will have to be tweaked manually, at least that’s how I understand it.

I don’t have any issues with vertical distortion, is VSYNC on in the config?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!