Star Citizen Free Look

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Star Citizen Free Look

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SGTCAMP3R
    Participant

Hello all,

I just made my first attempt at using VorpX with my Valve Index for Star Citizen…everything appears to be working except free look. In free look, I can only look around with mouse and it does not use my head movements. I’m under the assumption that this is supposed to be done by VorpX right out of the gate. Is there anyone here that can help me resolve this issue?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please follow the hint shown in the top left corner of the game window and enable TrackIR in the game’s camera options. That should help. TrackIR also has to be enabled in the vorpX. Should be the case per default, but worth to check that too.

Alternatively you could disable TrackIR in the vorpX menu for mouse only head tracking.

someskunkfunk
    Participant

Will running Track IR enable that option to use track IR instead of HMD tracking for any profile or does it need to need to be a game and/or profile that specifically supports Track IR? I’d like to have mouse only head tracking in full vr mode somehow and I have a Track IR I could dust off if that will get me there by having it on but disabled in vorpx or on but sitting on the desk centered. Any way to achieve mouse only head tracking in full vr mode for something like cyberpunk for example? Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

TrackIR has to be supported by the game. Typically vorpX will detect that and show an according hint in the top left corner of the game window. There may be games however where it has to be enabled in the game options somewhere before vorpX will be able to detect it is supported.

someskunkfunk
    Participant

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Love the scale of full vr mode but all the hud items like mini map etc are then always outside of the hmd sweetspot and I have to use edgepeek just to see them clearly whereas in immersive screen mode I can simply turn my head to glance at them in focus. Please consider letting us make the immersive screen as big as the full vr screen someday, I realize you get bombarded daily with feature requests but if the option to move the screen closer is already in the immersive screen menu would it not simply be a matter of increasing the allowable ranges or is there some other reason not to allow it beyond -1 for screen distance? Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just in case you didn’t see that already: you can move the screen closer towards you. At -1.0 it fills pretty much exactly the entire view vertically when you look straight ahead. That doesn’t really make too much sense without raising the game FOV though!

someskunkfunk
    Participant

Yes, that’s what I’m doing currently but everything is slightly smaller in immersive screen at -1 than in full vr mode image zoom 1.0. If you switch between the 2 modes at those settings everything looks about 10% smaller in immersive screen mode and with a slight tilt up or down you can see the screen edge so it’s tantalizingly close to the same world scale at -1 but not quite the same. FOV does probably need to be able to go to around 120 but many games can do that or have hacks/mods to get that wide an FOV. Some way to lock the HUD in space in full vr mode or have a mouselook only full vr option would also solve the issue of the always slightly out of focus HUD elements but I’d imagine just increasing the max limit for screen distance from -1 to maybe -1.5 for immersive mode would be much easier to do though? Even the best HMDs have relatively small sweet spots so having things on the edges of the display you cant turn your head to look at directly becomes a problem leading to eyestrain. Edgepeek is great for many situations and one of the best features of vorpx but having to use it just to read the minimap or dialog clearly every time can get tiresome so I much prefer immersive screen mode. Just wish it went to the same screen size as full vr mode. Thanks!

daggey
    Participant
    DADDYPANK
    Participant

Great Guide, however Z-Adaptive appears to be broken in the current patch. G3d still works though but obviously tanks your FPS. Going from ‘off’ to ‘Z-Adaptive’ shows no image change.

daggey
    Participant

Yes I saw that an have updated the guide with that info thanks – did you get it working ? What did you think – have only had negative feedback so far unfortunately. People with RiftS seem to be having a lot of trouble but i have played it on Quest, index and Pimax 8kX and feel like it is really good (desptie the no 3d and the UI issues).

Muskoka1847
    Participant

Perhaps Ralf might have some insight, or be able to offer some solutions to the issues us Rift S users are having. I understand it’s unsupported, but he may have a trick or two up his sleeve?

I wish I knew someone with a headset other than Rift, maybe what your seeing is the same as what I’m seeing, but your ok with it, and I’m not. Could be the case, but until I see what you see, I won’t know.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX is largely headset agnostic, so the number of potential headset related problems is fairly limited. If you suspect that there might be some issue that is related to running vorpX in Oculus mode, switching to SteamVR in the vorpX config app is worth a shot. Shouldn’t be necessary for Star Citizen though normally.

Muskoka1847
    Participant

We’ve had quite a lengthy discussion on the matter in the link that daggey posted above. I won’t repeat it all here obviously. Everything is working, it’s only the perspective, scale, that seems off to me. I can’t get a good combination of values/parameters between the custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel, and the user.cfg for the fov. This is in full vr mode. I can get immersive to look ok, quit good actually, if I use the curvature settings. But, I was trying to follow the great guide that was posted at the SC forums, and just can’t quit seem to get something that’s acceptable to use, hours on end. My character always seems squished, top to bottom, yet when I look down the legs are straight, so I know their not squatting. I can push the screen away from my face using the Vorpx zoom I believe it is, but then there’s borders all the way around which I really don’t care for. SC is just one title I’m trying to get looking good in vr, most other titles I have very little issues with when using Vorpx, so it’s no biggie. I usually play SC with Trackir, but full vr would be some much nicer.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The profile comes with a correct FullVR FOV per default, although at the expense of black bars above and below the image.

That said, if you want to optimize the FOV, the important thing to get right is matching the game FOV to the headset FOV. vorpX can do that automatically in many games, but not in Star Citizen. I would have implemented that for Star Citizen long ago, but it’s not reliable enough due to the game’s odd FOV system that requires a resolution change on each start to raise the max. possible FOV. Also IIRC they don’t store the FOV in an accessible .ini file anymore unfortunately since some time.

Every headset is a bit different in regard to its FOV, but what you can rely on is that with an ImageZoom value of 1.0 the correct FOV is 97 degrees vertical. So if a game happens to use a vertical FOV setting in degrees things are fairly easy. Not sure if SC does that, but most other CryEngine games do, so if you’re lucky all you need to dial in is ImageZoom 1.0 in vorpX and FOV 97 in Star Citizen.

Things get messier when games use horizontal or completely arbitrary FOV values, since those may be calculated in different ways (funny enough sometimes even objectively wrong). So if a game uses horizontal or arbitrary FOV values, your best option is to rely on what looks right to you unless vorpX handles FOV automatically. All profiles that default to FullVR mode are set up in a way though that works FOV wise, just sometimes – like SC – at the expense of top/bottom bars.

TheLastStarfighter
    Participant

Didn’t think anyone was playing Star Citizen, haven’t heard about it in years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!