StarVR and VorpX

Homepage Forums Technical Support StarVR and VorpX

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

So with all of the Pimax chatter and how its render target is too large and thus causes poor VorpX performance, I’m naturally worried about my initial plans of buying a StarVR headset once it’s released (along with a 2080 TI and a new CPU because apparently the i7 6700 is not enough for it according to the minimum requirements).

Ralf: if you plan on releasing Pimax specific updates, will they work with other ultra wide Steam VR headsets like the StarVR? I don’t think that many people will buy the Star VR over the Pimax due to its likely high price, but I want a premium headset and willing to shell out 3 to 6k usd when it’s out.

BUT as much as I want a 210 FOV in Pavlov and Onward, if VorpX becomes unusable due to poor framerate even with a new GPU and CPU (which is very possible) that gives me pause because I still need my VorpX fix. It’s as much a part of my VR experience as native VR games are. Of course I too would be willing to pay an extra free for StarVR specific support, but I know there’s no guarantee on that but I hope whatever Pimax optimizations you put in will work with StarVR IF you end up doing that. I do suspect that the Pimax will be a popular headset though among existing VR users.

Ultra wide headsets are inevitable I think. There’s enough demand for them from the VR community where I do imagine many people with Vives and Rifts will upgrade to them.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I can’t really say anything beyond what I said in the Pimax thread.

It’s relatively simple: the larger the FOV and the larger the resolution the more horsepower you need. If you have a modern game, let’s say Kingdom Come Deliverance, that runs at an OK, yet not perfect framerate with Rift/Vive on a GTX1080Ti with Geometry 3D, you can pretty naturally expect it to run at a hardly playable framerate when you start cranking up FOV and resolution.

That’s simply how these things work. More geometry (higher FOV) + more pixels (higher resolution) means severely less performance. Wishing it would be different is a bit like wishing the sun would always shine. 🙂 Everyone would love that, but it won’t happen.

markbradley1982
    Participant

I can’t really say anything beyond what I said in the Pimax thread.

It’s relatively simple: the larger the FOV and the larger the resolution the more horsepower you need. If you have a modern game, let’s say Kingdom Come Deliverance, that runs at an OK, yet not perfect framerate with Rift/Vive on a GTX1080Ti with Geometry 3D, you can pretty naturally expect it to run at a hardly playable framerate when you start cranking up FOV and resolution.

That’s simply how these things work. More geometry (higher FOV) + more pixels (higher resolution) means severely less performance. Wishing it would be different is a bit like wishing the sun would always shine. 🙂 Everyone would love that, but it won’t happen.

Is it possible for you to have VorpX constrain the FOV if FOV adjustment isn’t available for the StarVR?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Everything I could say now would be pure speculation, so not of much use.

If I have anything more profound to share in regard to high FOV headsets in the future, I will do so. Just doesn’t really make sense for me to speculate. Hope that’s understandable.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Everything I could say now would be pure speculation, so not of much use.

If I have anything more profound to share in regard to high FOV headsets in the future, I will do so. Just doesn’t really make sense for me to speculate. Hope that’s understandable.

Of course, completely understood.

How does Kingdom Come Deliverance play on a non TI 1080 when using the Vive? Is it still playable?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Works pretty well. Automatic FOV and resolution, DirectVR memory scanner support for rotational tracking. Positional tracking is available with G3D, but disabled per default due to shadow glitches. If you arent’t bothered by that (or disable shadows) you can enable it in the vorpX menu. G3D is playable with a 1080Ti, for full 90fps you will need reduced graphics detail or Z3D though.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Works pretty well. Automatic FOV and resolution, DirectVR memory scanner support for rotational tracking. Positional tracking is available with G3D, but disabled per default due to shadow glitches. If you arent’t bothered by that (or disable shadows) you can enable it in the vorpX menu. G3D is playable with a 1080Ti, for full 90fps you will need reduced graphics detail or Z3D though.

To clarify: Does work well on a 1080 TI only (since you’re specifically mentioning the 1080TI in that post rather than the original 1080)? Will a 1080 still give acceptable performance maybe with a few details bumped down or played through Z3D?

I’ve been playing Chivalry recently in VorpX G3D and it’s incredible! Like with Rocket League I’m convinced the extra depth perception really helps with overall competitive gameplay.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I did not test KCD on a 1080, only on a Ti, but since both aren`t too far apart performance wise, you probably will be good. If not you can reduce graphics datail/resolution or play with Z3D.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!