Steam / Oculus bypass

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Steam / Oculus bypass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Waz999
    Participant

As I play on a Quest 3, I’ve been advised to use Airlink instead of Virtual desktop. Which is fine. But everytime I play something, I have to start up multiple pieces of software to get the game running.

Vorpx – obviously.
    Oculus desktop client – to enable Airlink
    Steam – in order to launch my games.

I was wondering if there was a way to bypass any of the latter 2 in order to free up resources and increase performance? I think I’ve heard of people skipping the Steam startup but not sure how to launch my games then?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For “bypassing” Steam to launch your games you have to ask elsewhere. For obvious reasons there is zero tolerance when it comes to discussing such matters here. so don’t even try. :)

As far as the Oculus PC app is concerned, that’s just how things are. vorpX uses the Oculus PC runtime, and that doesn’t work without the app being open. They want you to see their store whenever you use the headset. Kind of redundant since Quest, which has its own store obviously, but that’s how it is.

You don’t really have to worry about performance though. While games are running both the Oculus app and Steam just sit there doing nothing except costing memory. If you happen to have only 8GB, consider a RAM upgrade. That’s insanely cheap these days. If your PC has 16GB or more, you don’t really have to worry about memory consumption either.

duke54
    Participant

“zero tolerance when it comes to discussing such matters here” I think you misunderstood. He’s just asking about playing a Steam game without loading Steam VR. For example, ‘OpenComposite’ and ‘VR Companion’ offer alternatives to using Steam VR to launch your Steam games in VR. Of course, you still need to have the games purchased in Steam to run them :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I think you misunderstood. He’s just asking about playing a Steam game without loading Steam VR

If that was indeed the question:

SteamVR is not supposed to run at all when using a Quest with Link. Make sure that vorpX is set to Oculus mode in the config app. Do not launch SteamVR, it not required and should not be running. SteamVR is only supposed to be used with native SteamVR headsets (e.g. Valve Index).

Waz999
    Participant

Thanks @duke54, that’s exactly what I was referring to. @Ralf I think my question may have been misinterpreted. I am not an advocate of piracy at all and have purchased an extensive amount of games through Steam. I just wanted to know if there was a way to free up resources by not having to open every piece of software as I have seen this mentioned before but was not sure about the specifics.

Thanks again @duke54. I’ll check out your suggestions and see if there is an improvent in performance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

…I think you misunderstood. He’s just asking about playing a Steam game without loading Steam VR…

If that was indeed the question:

SteamVR is not supposed to run at all when using a Quest with Link. Make sure that vorpX is set to Oculus mode in the config app. Do not launch SteamVR, it not required and should not be running. SteamVR is only supposed to be used with native SteamVR headsets (e.g. Valve Index).

luka2099
    Participant

On vorpx configurazione select openxr and steam dont open when you launch the game.

@ralf i have write a question on forum for you . But you neve answer me.
    So o try to ask here. With call of duty black ops3 , on vorpx menu in game i have the zoom bar only 70. Why? All another game i can rise until 100.73.

Waz999
    Participant

@luka2099 I have to open Steam though to launch my game. So…?

luka2099
    Participant

So, sorry but I’m Italian and I use Google Translator to answer. you launch the games from steam with steamvr CLOSED. If you select openxr as the api in the vorpx configuration, instead of steamvr, the games will start without steamvr. all this obviously if you are connected to the PC with airlink. with virtual desktop instead you have to use steamvr. I have always preferred Airlink to Virtual Desktop, but lately with Vorpx the games work better than Virtual Desktop and SteamVR.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!