Steam VR Lock-ups when going vorpX -> HMD in a couple titles?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Steam VR Lock-ups when going vorpX -> HMD in a couple titles?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I’m having a new issue I haven’t encountered before: I’m getting Steam VR crashes when playing Cyberpunk 2077 and Greedfall consistently and repeatedly when I’m trying to spit the output to my Pimax 5K+ through vorpX. They do NOT crash when using vorpX to spit them to my generic 3D display (Steam VR is not running in this case, and therefore can’t crash.) I’m playing other titles just fine vorpX -> Pimax, including some relatively demanding ones (Outer Worlds etc.) The only difference off the top of my head (beyond those being entire different game-engines) is that I’m playing these in Virtual Cinema mode, not as full VR titles.

Things it is not: it’s not overclocking or overheating issues. My rig runs very cool and I can push both the GPU and CPU to 100% with zero stability issues under extended testing (both benchmarking and real-world.) For example, Cyberpunk 2077 routinely pegs my GPU at 98-100% usage and runs between 45-60fps with vsync on (I’m using RT on a 2080 Super) and my temps remain below 70c. CPU usage under *any* game scenario isn’t enough to even make my system blink (liquid cooled 5900x running stock frequencies as there is zero point in overclocking it at this point.) So I’ve made very, very sure that I’m running a stable configuration in terms of the hardware; it’s only when adding vorpX -> HMD that this issue appears.

Any obvious things I could be doing wrong? I’ve been wondering if it’s a vram thing, but that should maybe cause a hitch in performance, not a lockup.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

A video card update pretty much answered this for me; I was definitely pushing more than the 8GB in the 2080 Super; I’m seeing 10GB to 11GB of VRAM usage immediately upon sticking in a 3080 Ti (tried to hold out for a 3090, but couldn’t wait forever and the 3080 Ti came along at MSRP, so I finally pulled the trigger.) I’m fairly sure this was what was causing SteamVR to just straight-up crash even when the GPU wasn’t pegged.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!