Still prefer Cinema mode over full VR

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Still prefer Cinema mode over full VR

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Just thought I’d start a conversation about this. I just can’t seem to get into the full VR mode on most games. I vastly prefer playing on Cinema mode with a big FOV, and zoomed in screen. (similar to the new immersive screen mode)
    I love cinema mode, but whenever I try the full VR for anything (outlast 2, far cry primal, Prey, etc) it just feels off.
    I noticed when I ran Prey in Full VR, the fov seemed way off (way too small) for instance. It seemed so zoomed in that the graphics looked bad too.
    I also noticed that there way huge picture warping going on in the new Full VR mode.
    Every game I try also, there is quite a bit of brain-strain when moving my head around, caused by the low framerate. Not sure if I just need to tinker with the game settings to get it smoother or what.
    It seems much smoother and easier to play with Cinema mode.
    I’ll definitely keep playing with the settings. I had a good experience playing skyrim 6 months ago, but still went back to cinema for the mouse and keyboard. I’m sure its possible to get it set up right for certain games, or I’m just missing something as I don’t use full VR very often with VorpX.

dborosev
    Participant

Also to note, it is running at 45fps, but it still seems quite un-smooth. And I’m not usually that picky on that stuff.

Another thing I noticed (Ralf) is that the FOV gets all messed up when changing between cinema mode and full vr mode back and forth quite often. In outlast 2 for instance, my FOV for cinema is stuck at some gigantic number. I can reset it, but I’m sure this isn’t supposed to be happening.
    On that note, there is no optimizer any more, so how does one change the FOV now?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The release blog post and the short video in it answers your questions about the optimizer. Nothing is messed up, settings optimizing is now built into the core app and “just happens” when you start a game with optimizer support. FOV is dynamically adjusted according to the chosen play style, i.e. full VR FOV/resolution is different than the cinema mode FOV/resolution etc.

That is meant for those who prefer things just working. You and all others who like to tweak themselves were not forgotten though, of course. You can disable all auto-configuration either globally in the config app (“Never change any game settings” or on a game per game basis in the vorpX menu (“Direct VR” page).

dborosev
    Participant

I’ll check those out a bit more thx.
    What I meant with the fov is that it seems like it might be a bug. I get the auto setting part. But The back and forth left the cinema mode in some sort of ultra big fov, like it was being constantly added to in the switch, but not being removed from.
    Might be user error, but thought I’d mention it just in case for you to check out.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is how it is supposed to be, The auto-FOV for cinema mode ist not as high as the auto-FOV for full VR mode. You can apply a +/- 20° offset in the vorpX menu. If you want to achieve a different effect for your individal setup, disabling the auto-configuration is the way to go. You can then freely tweak game-FOV, resolution etc. like before.

The auto configuration however will not be changed, it is meant for those who like to just play and thus it changes settings in a way that avoids any need for tweaking at all as much as possible.

AerowynX
    Participant

i have had VorpX for about a year now and only use it for Cinema mode.. find full VR just has to many random issues for me to play a game like that.. but cinema mode with G3D is great

dborosev
    Participant

Hey Ralf,
    Sorry, I’m doing a bad job of explaining. What I mean is that in a couple of cases, I noticed that flipping back and forth from Full to Cinema to Immersive, the fov values did not go back to their hardcoded values all the time. For instance, if the default setting of Full has FOV X, Cinema has Y, and Immersive has Z, then when I went back to cinema, it was Y + 10. Then the next time I started flipping between them, it was Y+20, and kept going until the FOV for cinema mode was probably about Y + 80, which was all skewed out. It wasn’t setting it to the cinema default FOV.
    If I’m not making sense, feel free to ignore me. :) I only played with it for a bit, but got it into a very weird state. I’ll play with it again sometime to see if I can replicate.

Yeah I’ll definitely be making use of the non-auto mode, thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

How that works depends on the game. If the FOV is applied via changing an ini setting, you need to restart the game for an FOV change to be applied. Usually a message prompts you to do so after clicking “OK & Save” if that is the case.

If the “Immersive Screen Mode”, which in principle is what you did with cinema mode before, is not 100% satisfactory in regard to what you have in mind for a game, I would suggest to disable all auto configuration. Then you are free to tweak a game’s FOV/resolution manually again, which is basically how things were before the latest update.

dborosev
    Participant

In the old version, changing the FOV was done with the optimizer. Now where is it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I really don’t want to sound edgy, like said above several times, that is either handled by the new Direct VR settings optimizer when you start a game OR you can tweak games manually in case the results the optimizer provides are not what you have in mind. Optimizing manually means that you can adjust the FOV in ini-files, the registry or whereever a game stores its settings.

However, the best thing for you to do is probably letting vorpX handle that by using the auto FOV feature, selecting the “Immersive Screen Mode” and than cranking up the FOV as much as possible on the Direct VR page (+20) if the default value chosen by vorpX is not what you prefer. Hope that clarifies this.

dborosev
    Participant

Got it. Just needed clarification that there wasn’t a manual way to do this with VorpX like last version (a la Optimizer). Seems like that functionality is gone now, so its truly manually done via the ini’s.
    I’ll check out the immersive functionality as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!