Stray (UE4)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Stray (UE4)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jjensson
    Participant

Stray releases today. It’s got great reviews, SkillUp recommends it, and with it’s post-cyberpunk setting it’s a great choice for playing in Stereo3D.

What UE profile is recommended these days, for trying new and untested UE games?

Smoils
    Participant

I dont remember which one was my base to go ue profile, but Ive tried it with many modern games to great success so I would recommend checking Ghostrunner or Ascend from the cloud and then replacing exe they hook to, high chance it will just work. You might need to drop a hook helper there though.

ParadiseDecay
    Participant

If Its any help, I’ve been trying a few Unreal 4 profiles without success, some profiles Geometry3D gives a weird effect in the right eye.
    I did however try Journey profile and with Z-Adaptive there is some minimum 3D.

ParadiseDecay
    Participant

OK VRans has uploaded a G3D profile for Stray I’ll be trying and recording later.

jjensson
    Participant

Thanks, guys.

PD, when you try running it in G3D, could you please look if dynamic shadows are missing or broken? That’s the reason i don’t like G3D on newer games – the profiles often remove essential lighting effects.

jjensson
    Participant

Just watched PD’s video, and at least with ReShade it seems the shadows are working properly (i think SuperDepth3D uses z-reconstructive 3D, like in VorpX Z3D mode).

matteo39
    Participant

i’ve tried the profile: no 3d effect

also,it say this

G3D is available.
    Make sure to force DX11 by adding -d3d11 to the Launch option on STEAM.
    Launch steamVR and set vorpX Device Selection to SteamVR in the General tab. Not Oculus.
    Use UUU3021 to add some FOV goodness and click the Tilde key (`) to open the console to then type fov 120. I find that 110 or120 work really well in this game.
    Play around with sharpness as well in UUU:
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
    or Temporal AA:
    r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=1

ParadiseDecay
    Participant

My friend Tetiana made a great video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJjj_WBmUBM

ParadiseDecay
    Participant

Did you run the game in window mode?

ParadiseDecay
    Participant

Did you run the game in window mode?

3D does not work fullscreen sometimes

dborosev
    Participant

Depth3D and reshade are a good option when VorpX doesn’t have a profile yet.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Making your own vorpX profile is usually the better option and fairly easy if you know what engine a game uses, which is Unreal Engine 4 in case of Stray. Caveat: Some UE4 games are DX12 only these days. If there is no 3D with one of the many DX11 UE4 profiles try the Grounded profile as a base.

All you have to do is creating a copy of the base profile in the config app and then applying the game’s main .exe. Caveat: mke sure to apply the actual game .exe, not some launcher a game may use. For UE4 games thouse are typically named like this: arbitarygamename-win64-shipping.exe.

BTW: The PC Gaming Wiki and Wikipedia are usually a good way to find out the engine a game uses. For older games RJKs game engine page is also a great source.

More detailed information on the matter can be found in the vorpX help under ‘User Profiles’.

RJK_
    Participant

If i may give a hint on using “rjkole” profiles:
    If anythings fails when trying out profiles for a given engine (e.g. UE4), its always a good idea to go through profiles marked with engine name “Special”. In this case you would try profiles from DX11 ganmes, use a “Special” engine profile from a DX9 game if your game is DX9.

“Special” profiles are different from any other profiles and give a good chance for finally finding somthing useful. UE4 is not nessecarily UE4, some settings are terribly different sometimes, thats why “Special” profiles have been created. The first thing you do is looking through all the UE4 proflies of course, but like said, you have an additional chance be going through “Special”.
    (https://rjkole.com/gamestuff/engines/index.php?selengine=Special)

TheGreatGarbanzo
    Participant

No luck here either with VRan’s profile. The hud overlays are 3D, but not the game itself. Given the game’s popularity, I’m holding out for more profiles for the game in the future :)

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Making your own vorpX profile is usually the better option and fairly easy if you know what engine a game uses, which is Unreal Engine 4 in case of Stray. Caveat: Some UE4 games are DX12 only these days. If there is no 3D with one of the many DX11 UE4 profiles try the Grounded profile as a base.

I second this. Whenever possible it’s best to go the vorpX route – it’s simply faster than the other solutions. For example Witcher 3 (first person mod) pushed to 8K-X at 4K and every slider at max quality give a liquid smooth 60fps and can often maintain 75fps in vorpX Z3D. Virtual Desktop + SuperDepthVR can also be used, but even getting a solid 60fps requires quality concessions and a slightly lower resolution. So there is a substantial performance difference in many titles between vorpX and the alternatives.

That said, I’ve been using SuperDepth3D (and now VR) almost since the initial release and they are a good alternative when vorpX doesn’t yet support a title. I hope Ralf, that you understand that we like to sometimes discuss alternatives for when vorpX doesn’t support a title yet? If you prefer not, then let us know and I expect most of us here will abide by your decision.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!