Stuck at 45 fps and lower even on 640×480

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Stuck at 45 fps and lower even on 640×480

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    coldshiver
    Participant

I’l start by saying i have used VorpX with the Oculus DK2 and now with the Oculus CV1. I have played Alien Isolation and Half-Life 2 on the DK2 no problem even at the max resolution the DK2 could display and LOVED IT. 60 fps or 75? i beleive it was, was also no problem and i made sure the game made that target by tweaking some graphics settings, still ran it at high settings.

Now i have the CV1 and i cannot get any game to work at higher then 45 fps, even after turning off all the options VorpX has, so turned off head tracking, 3D (depth buffer etc to off), FluidSync everything off so basicly its like running the game normally performance whise (or so i thought). Even when turning down the resolution to 640×480 it does not run more than 45 fps and can even dip during gameplay.

Without VorpX i can run the game FEAR for instance at max settings with about 200 fps at 1920×1080 but with VorpX enabled no more than 45 fps, for some reason it seems stuck no matter what i do.

What is happening? Can someone help me diagnose this problem i cannot seem to pinpoint it.

Extra info:
    – Tested on both an AMD R9 290X 4GB and now on Nvidia GTX 970
    – Tested without MSI Afterburner running
    – Tested without Steam overlay
    – Tested without Reshade
    – Tested before and after updating Windows 10 to the latest creators update
    – Checked if Game DVR for windows is off and it is disabled
    – Turned resolution down to 640×480 and lowest settings in FEAR

Is there anything else i can try? I know VorpX is really fast because it was with the DK2 when using the z-buffer. Now without 3D 640×480 does not even run, something weird is going on.

Does anyone have any ideas? I want to experience Half-Life 2 and Alien Isolation again on CV1! It was the best experience i had to date even if it was just on the DK2.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Disabling “FluidSync” on the display page of the vorpX ingame menu unlocks the FPS.

I would only recommend that for games that run relatively safely with 90fps though. Otherwise FluidSync’s 45fps (+1 artificial frame in between to real ones) often feels smoother. No harm in experimenting, of course.

Important caveat: In contrast to SteamVR the Oculus runtime may decide for itself to throttle down to 45 if 90 can’t be reached, regardless of the FluidSync setting.

coldshiver
    Participant

Sorry but my initial post mentions i have already disabled it without any affect:

“””
    Now i have the CV1 and i cannot get any game to work at higher then 45 fps, even after turning off all the options VorpX has, so turned off head tracking, 3D (depth buffer etc to off), FluidSync everything off so basicly its like running the game normally performance whise (or so i thought). Even when turning down the resolution to 640×480 it does not run more than 45 fps and can even dip during gameplay.
    “””

And like i said the game can run 200 fps on max settings 1080p so on 640×480 low it should be able to run 90 fps easy. Some form of bug in VorpX seems to be causing a really heavy performance hit. Please read my post again i have tried everything i can think of to no avail :(

Oh i can run robo recall at 90 fps aswell btw. So i don’t get why i cannot seem to run even the main menu of FEAR or half life 2 with more than 45 fps ? Yes even in the main menu is locked to 45 fps, even when disabling the oculus AWS (limiting mode) the performance display is showing i have -60% negative performance (meaning the game thinks i need 60% more power even on lowest possible settings, this makes no sense)

Ralf
    Keymaster

One thing you could check is whether you maybe force VSync in your graphics driver control panel. vorpX normally takes care of that, but it can’t hurt to check. Also check whether you maybe have antialising forced in the graphics driver. If so, disable that too. Can cause framerate issue with a handful of Unreal engine games.

If you still see a 45fps lock after checking the above and having FluidSync disabled, vorpX cannot be the cause. In that case for whatever reason the Oculus runtime decides to throttle. Older games like FEAR or HL2 run with higher framerates easily normally.

coldshiver
    Participant

Finally got it working, not sure what finally fixed it, i can’t seem to replicate the problem.

What i tried was:
    – FEAR fix for HID devices by placing a dinput8.dll in the fear directory because its own implementation keeps polling allot of HID devices and can cause major slowdowns.
    – NVIDIA control panel frames ahead to 2 instead of 1 for VR and back again.
    – NVIDIA control panel vsync to application controlled or to force off.

Seems to work now although i do still have to turn down allot of settings even in FEAR for some reason to stay around the 90 fps mark. And also in Rocket League.

Its weird because:
    – FEAR (without vorpx) 250+ fps
    – FEAR (with VorpX, 3D recreation OFF) 70-90 fps

It seems VorpX has a massive performance cost even when its not really doing anything (because 3D recreation is off). Do you think this performance drop is to be expected withoutout ANY 3D recreation? Seems very odd to me. I am curious to hear your thoughts :D But i am glad i can play again and enjoy!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Probably something specific to your setup. It’s been a while, but I don’t recall any unusual slowdowns with FEAR when the profile was made originally. You will never see frame rates higher than 90fps (your headset’s refresh rate) with vorpX. That’s intended behaviour and precisely how it should be.

coldshiver
    Participant

Yep thats to be expected but the drops to 70 are still weird without any 3D reconstruction considering it runs 250+ fps without VorpX. I wonder whats giving the performance hit. Might be an oportunity to gain allot of performance if it turns out to be a bug.

Is there a way to get more detailed info? like logging i can look through for weird errors or warnings that might be costing me so much performance?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!