Suggested Steam VR Settings for Oculus Users?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Suggested Steam VR Settings for Oculus Users?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    TheBalt
    Participant

Hey everyone,

So I’ve been playing RE8 via Reshade 3dfx because the Steam VR version for Oculus runs far worse than the reshade. Im assuming this is because I have some Steam VR settings wrong or not ‘ideal’ for Oculus, since Oculus needs to use Steam VR for some more recent games like RE8.

Any other Oculus users manage to get the settings in SteamVR right to where games run relatively smooth? Like im talking – I stutter the entire time in SteamVR right now with RE8, but using Reshade, its not flawless, but runs way, way better.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time folks, take care

frenchiebong
    Participant

Try turning Overylay off and also disable Motion Smoothing in the VR settings in SteamVR. If you haven’t disabled Asynchrounous Spacewrap in Oculusdebugtool.exe, please disable it to keep a higher Framerate. My game runs smooth on the Rift S and getting stable 70-80 fps. Only when the place is crowded will it dip.

TheBalt
    Participant

Try turning Overylay off and also disable Motion Smoothing in the VR settings in SteamVR. If you haven’t disabled Asynchrounous Spacewrap in Oculusdebugtool.exe, please disable it to keep a higher Framerate. My game runs smooth on the Rift S and getting stable 70-80 fps. Only when the place is crowded will it dip.

Thanks, gonna give this a shot and see how it goes! I appreciate it!

TheBalt
    Participant

This worked great, thank you! Some weird stuttering in random spots without any action going on sometimes, but overall, better than using Reshade or how it was before. I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Thanks for your help!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Another option would be to try OpenXR instead of SteamVR. Unlike the Oculus mode that should work while still avoiding the SteamVR detour:

1. Make Oculus your system’s OpenXR runtime by double clicking the .reg file in the linked zip archive: OculusOpenXR.zip. Oculus doesn’t enable OpenXR per default yet, but ist’s already working quite well from my experience. Caveat: The .reg file assumes that the Oculus software is installed in its default folder.
    2. Select OpenXR as your headset type in the vorpX config app on the ‘General’ page.
    3. Use Link/Air Link. DO NOT start SteamVR, it’s not required with OpenXR.
    TheBalt
    Participant

Thanks, Ralf! Ill give that a shot and let you know if I see any differences in performance, my pc is barely able to do RE8 at 1440p in the Rift so should be a good test case to see if it performs better than piping through SteamVR.

I appreciate you taking the time to give us that info. Take care!

TheBalt
    Participant

Another option would be to try OpenXR instead of SteamVR. Unlike the Oculus mode that should work while still avoiding the SteamVR detour:

1. Make Oculus your system’s OpenXR runtime by double clicking the .reg file in the linked zip archive: OculusOpenXR.zip. Oculus doesn’t enable OpenXR per default yet, but ist’s already working quite well from my experience. Caveat: The .reg file assumes that the Oculus software is installed in its default folder.
    2. Select OpenXR as your headset type in the vorpX config app on the ‘General’ page.

Hey Ralf, just gave it a shot and wanted you to know – HUGE – performance boost. Im at an area in the game where you cross a foggy bridge and with SteamVR it brought my framerate down into the 10s-20s range, with this, it was 99% steady above 45 fps the whole way across. I went across this bridge multiple times in SteamVR and always got a major, major performance hit for it.

Two problems though – Headtracking was not working at all for FullVR and ‘Edge Peek’ sent the screen ‘downwards’ like 10 feet, not expanding it in front of eyes like it typically does. SteamVR was not enabled, but ya, performance boost was truly insane for a CV1. Not sure if these problems with the headtracking and Edge Peek are solvable in the near future, but this looks like the solution to using SteamVR if those little issues get worked out.

Thanks for sending that over, was nice to see my PC wasnt total garbage and that it was SteamVR messing with my performance lol.

Please let me know if you are going to look into updating it, I may hold off the rest of my playthru until that is done, even if it isnt a priority for you now; the performance boost was so huge I really dont wanna play it on SteamVR now lol

TheBalt
    Participant

Oh yeah, the game did launch in Z 3d and full br mode (was able to look around, move with controller, etc); but I did get an error message at launch:

“OpenXR session Evaluation failed.

This is a severe error. Make sure that OpenXR is working correctly on your PC or switch to a different VR API in the vorpX config app.”

Gave me that error and the game still booted and loaded, but, with the issues I mentioned in my previous post with headtracking and edgepeek having issues.

TheBalt
    Participant

Okay, this is going to sound ridiculous – but hear me out.

Tried launching the game inside the Oculus Dashboard in the headset (usually just launch in Steam and then put headset on) and now the headtracking and ‘edge peek’ modes are working just fine! And game is still running far better!

Thanks ralf, this is awesome! To anyone else trying this, if you run into the issue i described – dont wait for the game to attach and launch, put the headset on ASAP or launch from within Oculus Dashboard in the headset

TheBalt
    Participant

Hey Ralf, Q for you cause this thing does make it run -so- much better. Is there a way to skip SteamVR in general for it to play games like Alyx and stuff? I didnt know if that was possible to maybe gain some horsepower back and use it on Steam or other VR games and avoid SteamVR for Oculus users

Ralf
    Keymaster

That would require the game devs to implement an OpenXR rendering path to their games. Unlikely to happen for the majority of games that have already been released. Many future VR games however will more likely than not use OpenXR instead of SteamVR since OpenXR is supposed to eventually replace the vendor specific runtimes.

TheBalt
    Participant

That would require the game devs to implement an OpenXR rendering path to their games. Unlikely to happen for the majority of games that have already been released. Many future VR games however will more likely than not use OpenXR instead of SteamVR since OpenXR is supposed to eventually replace the vendor specific runtimes.

understood, thanks for taking the time to explain. hope you have a good weekend. and thanks again for sharing that, performance in game just skyrocketed due to that, i appreciate it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!