Suggestion: Screen Position / HUD Position Vertical adjustment if possible

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Suggestion: Screen Position / HUD Position Vertical adjustment if possible

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Khuri
    Participant

I’d like to know if it would be possible to add an option to adjust the position and size of the game screen on the eyes and/or the game HUD on the vertical axis.

Background:
    I’m wearing glasses which don’t cover my whole viewspace while wearing them, ie there’s some space when I look up with my eyes where i can see past the rim of my glasses easily.
    Now in normal life that’s not a problem as I can just move my head to see something that is out of my glasses focus.

While wearing a VR headset however, that’s not an option.
    Now when I’m wearing my Rift, there’s an aprox. 10-15% gap at the upper edge of my eyes where i only see a blurry mess because my actual glasses don’t cover that area.

Normal game content is no problem of course, however if the game has HUD elements in that space, I can’t see them at all (because they’re out the focus of my glasses).

Now, Would it be possible to not only “Zoom” the image in total, but shrink/move it on the vertical axis alone?
    Or in case of “Skyrim”, where you can adjust the HUD apart from the game screen, to allow a repositioning of that?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is a more complex issue than you probably think (and I originally thought too). vorpX actually had the ability to change the vertical position of the image in the first CV1 specific release to help with a certain feature of the CV1 optics. There is a severe drawback when doing this though that makes it *very* *absolutely* *completely* useless: since your eyes aren’t centered at the perspective center of the rendered image anymore, you get heavy perspective distortion when you rotate your head. So this was removed again after a short experimentation phase.

Whatever issue you may want to solve with such a feature, unfortunately it won’t work because of the distortion it introduces.

Khuri
    Participant

Haven’t thought of the perspective center issue, but now that you explained it, yes that makes sense to me.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Since contacts are no option for me I’ll probably have to consider getting new glasses for the headset or those frames you can put in front of the lenses that I’ve seen on Kickstarter.

Amylion
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I need this adjustment of the vertical position too. On my Vive the VorpX display is too high by a big margin. When I set the zoom factor so I can barely see the top edge, there is a huge grey (empty) horizontal bar at the bottom. I really need to adjust the vertical position.

Thank you very much!

Ralf
    Keymaster

This would not work as you expect unfortunately. Please check the explanation two posts above for details.

The right thing to do is to raise the zoom (and the game’s FOV) if you want to get rid of potential bars that may be visible in some games.

Another option would be to set the EdgePeek background to black instead of the ambience color in the vorpX ingame menu, which you might like better. Enable expert settings in the config app to see this option.

Amylion
    Participant

This would not work as you expect unfortunately. Please check the explanation two posts above for details.

The right thing to do is to raise the zoom (and the game’s FOV) if you want to get rid of potential bars that may be visible in some games.

Another option would be to set the EdgePeek background to black instead of the ambience color in the vorpX ingame menu, which you might like better. Enable expert settings in the config app to see this option.

since your eyes aren’t centered at the perspective center of the rendered image anymore, you get heavy perspective distortion when you rotate your head.

Sorry, that I did not express me clearly: For some strange reason my eyes are not centered in your standard Vorpx configuration. I have problems with distortion in the “normal” setup. I need to calibrate my perspectivic center manually.

It’s not very useful at is is right now. If I expand the zoom / FoV, so there is no blank border at the bottom, a big margin at the top is cut off, and the center of perspective is way too high. It not only wastes lots of GPU power (because 20% of the image is not visible), but it it’s very disorienting (zoom factor, field of view and perspectivic center are off by a big margin).

Maybe it’s a bug of my vorpX installation (but it’s basically just a clean install on a fresh Win10), but a manual calibration will solve it.

Thank you very much in advance!
    (Yes, that means I expect this setting, because I can’t use this product as it stands right now because of this issue and don’t want to ask for a refund.)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The vorpX image center is *exactly* at the image center of native apps. If you are using an Oculus Rift, you can easily check that by starting any game with a crosshair and then switch to the Oculus menu using your gamepad. You will notice that the gaze indicator in the Oculus menu is ecactly at the same height as the crosshair is in the game. Everything is perfectly centered as it should be.

If your eyes aren’t looking at the image center, your headset sits either slighly too low or too high. Try loosening or fastening the headstrap a little bit, which alllows you to align your eyes to the center of the displayed image.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!